come-along or lever lift

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jklingel

Feeling the Heat
Oct 23, 2007
Fairbanks
I'm looking at getting a 3 to 4 ton come-along or a chain lever-lift, using it primarily for an occasional "got stuck" w/ my skid-steer. Does anyone have any experience w/ the Jets, Ross, Pro Forge, whatever? I have used many of the various 1000 to 2000 lb come-alongs, and frankly have not run into a really tough one yet; too many are stamped scum-alongs, which bend when you get really nasty with the handle, so I am leaning toward a chain lever-lift. Never used a lever-lift; ads say about 80 lbs of force will give you the full 3 ton pull. Reality? Anyone ever use a Neiko come-along? They have them up to 5 ton; am wondering about their build; NFL, or kindergarten? Pls advise... thanks. j

So far by working the bucket I have been able to get unstuck. Also, by lifting the front end with the bucket and placing small logs or heavy brush under the wheels, I also have been able to get needed traction to get unstuck.

Jim: Thanks. Yes, those techniques have worked OK... so far. However, the ones that worry me are the side-tips, or deep mud. I dropped off of a guy's driveway 2 yrs ago pushing hard pack, and had a little daylight under my left rear. Thankfully I was able to dig under the front and lower the machine just enough to bucket-out. Then, this fall, I laid it over about 45 degrees against a tree stump when I fell into the stump's hole. A chain hoist on a tree righted me; I got lucky again. So, I think it would be handy to have a little manual power around, just for grins.

Status
Not open for further replies.