comfortbilt hp22 with nest thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kravvelocity

Nov 8, 2018
syracuse
Hello. I was trying to hook my pellet stove to my nest. I have 24v c wire transformer to go with it. Has anyone been able to get this working. If so how did you wire it?

Thanks for any help

Do a search for hooking up a smart thermostat to a pellet stove. There's some pretty good instructions.

Eric

Thanks! I have watched just about all the videos on youtube and nothing has worked. I am going to try a none smart thermostat tonight to see if it can get that working.

Hey
You need a 24vac power supply, I got all parts from grainger and comfortbilt, a 24vac relay with base and a lid switch from comfortbilt (just for the plug to the board, cut the switch off) use the power supply 24+ to the power on base plate (red) 24- to the common (blue) then white wire goes to the activation side of relay, other switching wire goes to 24- on power supply and finally the 2 wires from the control board (cut switch) go to the switching side of the relay.

It took me a whe to figure out as it seems no one else has done it but it works great and I use it as my primary heat source for my house, now it's warm when I get home!
20221202_203856.jpg

Last edited:
Are you hooking anything else up to the nest?

as its winter i was only concerned about the heat for now, but i do intend to wire in my pioneer mini split too, ill wire it so it it handles the cooling and i will put a switch in so the heat either controls the minisplit, pellet stove or both. (it might work using pellet stove first stage heat and minisplit as second stage but ill have to try a few things for that)

i had to use a relay as the control voltage from the thermostat 24VAC is not the same as the signal voltage from the stove, i think it was a millivolt signal (i cant actually remember),

fk2106 i just ordered the switch from comfortbilt as i needed the plug to the CPU, i cut the switch off and used the wires to the relay for the on/off signal to the stove.

i attached a parts list of the items i bought from grainger for this too, also a wiring diagram, it is really simple and works great.

parts list.PNG thermostat wiring.png

Last edited:
as its winter i was only concerned about the heat for now, but i do intend to wire in my pioneer mini split too, ill wire it so it it handles the cooling and i will put a switch in so the heat either controls the minisplit, pellet stove or both. (it might work using pellet stove first stage heat and minisplit as second stage but ill have to try a few things for that)

i had to use a relay as the control voltage from the thermostat 24VAC is not the same as the signal voltage from the stove, i think it was a millivolt signal (i cant actually remember),

fk2106 i just ordered the switch from comfortbilt as i needed the plug to the CPU, i cut the switch off and used the wires to the relay for the on/off signal to the stove.

i attached a parts list of the items i bought from grainger for this too, also a wiring diagram, it is really simple and works great.

View attachment 304933 View attachment 304934
I would set it up single stage heat and cool with the pellet stove as the emergency. That way you can can run the stove from the thermostat without running the mini. Can you run the mini from a remote and the thermostat?

I would set it up single stage heat and cool with the pellet stove as the emergency. That way you can can run the stove from the thermostat without running the mini. Can you run the mini from a remote and the thermostat?
i live where its cold so the mini split struggles to keep up, the pellet stove is a far better heat source, its no problem running them both at the same time as they are in different areas of the house too, i will set a switch that can be controlled through google home to be able to switch between the 2 at any time so i have the option of using which ever i choose as the pellet stove will run out of pellets while im out of town for a while, it will be very useful being able to switch between the 2.

Reactions: EbS-P

View attachment 304933 View attachment 304934
so I'm attempting to wire a smart stat up like you did here via a transformer i already have around https://a.co/d/gjfPf0a. my main question is your diagram shows 24v + and - wires, if its AC voltage isn't it non polarity? That half confuses me. if you can shoot me a message in detail as i'll be using the same relay and base with mine just a diff 24vac transformer feeding the stat. thanks!

so I'm attempting to wire a smart stat up like you did here via a transformer i already have around https://a.co/d/gjfPf0a. my main question is your diagram shows 24v + and - wires, if its AC voltage isn't it non polarity? That half confuses me. if you can shoot me a message in detail as i'll be using the same relay and base with mine just a diff 24vac transformer feeding the stat. thanks!
with simple switches like the relay and the pellet stove input then yes you are correct, it does not matter which you put in which as the signal still gets made, but the thermostat is a digital controller that gives only specific +or- outputs and inputs so if you have a + going out to another + then they cancel each other out. As the Nest needs its specific + and - wires and gives out a + signal for heat on that determines the wires for the relay. so there really is only one way to wire it that will work. if you wire the + going to the relay first it will never get the power to the nest.

if the problem is that its not obvious on your tansformer which is + then connect your volt meter to a ground and put the red lead to each wire, the one that shows 24vac is the +

Last edited:
with simple switches like the relay and the pellet stove input then yes you are correct, it does not matter which you put in which as the signal still gets made, but the thermostat is a digital controller that gives only specific +or- outputs and inputs so if you have a + going out to another + then they cancel each other out. As the Nest needs its specific + and - wires and gives out a + signal for heat on that determines the wires for the relay. so there really is only one way to wire it that will work. if you wire the + going to the relay first it will never get the power to the nest.

if the problem is that its not obvious on your tansformer which is + then connect your volt meter to a ground and put the red lead to each wire, the one that shows 24vac is the +
Hmm I see I hope my stat will work out then I plan to use an Emerson seni stat which I know just needs a common and RH as well as the W signal to heat. Attached is its layout in a home setup already.

D1C0B12B-C6C9-47B7-9053-6AC5E66C86BE.jpeg

Back I have a hp22I and I don't see a thermostat connection on my control board. Is there a way to connect/ sauter the pigtail wire to the board?