Comntemplating 1000 gallon oil tank for energy storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loki

Jul 14, 2008
southern NH
For short $$ I can get my hands on a 1000 gallon oil tank about 20 years old which was pulled out of the ground a few years ago. It is a "heavy duty" tank which, according to the seller just means the steel is a little thicker.

48" x 10' 5".

Has anybody used one of these for heat storage and/or do you know where there are detailed instructions for converting this to an energy storage tank ?

And in that regard, when using a propane tank what measures should be taken to prevent corrosion ?

The journey of discovery goes on.

Oil tank or propane tank? A fuel oil tank likely needs to be open storage, no pressure. Opposite with propane. In either case cleaning them out can be an issue. I've used both and recommend using a high temp line filter to catch any crap that may free up in use.

Corrosion can be dealt with by adjusting pH and using an O2 scavenger. With open storage need to monitor both, as adding water and exposure to air will alter water composition. With closed storage once adjusted properly should be OK for the long run (unless adding water), but testing a sample occasionally would do no harm. With both during the off season run the circ every two weeks or so for awhile to keep the system water in balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.