Complete install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Crowkiller

Jan 6, 2020
RubZeuHerZeb4
Ok, so I’ve been creeping on here for last few months gathering info to replace my old Ashley wood stove (rear flue), with a modern stove.

My former setup had a single wall pipe exiting the back of the stove directly into an unlined 8x8 masonry chimney, via a masonry thimble.

I chose a NC-30 (timberline I believe). I also purchased Duravent brand Duraliner rigid SS, 0” clearance chimney liner, and the Duravent wall pass through thimble (6dlr-wpt ).

My questions....
1. I’m going to put another hole higher up on chimney (18” below ceiling) . This is to allow a 6” Wall Pass Through (WPT) Thimble, which will enter the masonry chimney. Connected to the WPT thimble is of course the T connection in my SS liner system. Do I need to mortar in a masonry or galvanized thimble for the above to connect through? If so, which one? Seems I could cut galvanized to length, but maybe not masonry.

2. Due to the thickness of brick in wall, I think only 3 1/2” to 4” of inner SS sleeve in WPT thimble will connect, or overlap with inner sleeve in WPT thimble. Will this overlap be enough (WPT thimble has rigid wall and stainless sliding wall. Sliding wall connects to T, and other end stays in WPT)?

3. Also, I’m assuming I need some kind of connector that allows me to connect myTractor Supply single wall stove pipe with the double wall pipe coming of of my WPT thimble (stove side of thimble)?

Thanks in advance as I have gotten lots of information off of here and I’m sure I will continue to get more good info… Thanks again.

Ok, so I’ve been creeping on here for last few months gathering info to replace my old Ashley wood stove (rear flue), with a modern stove.

My former setup had a single wall pipe exiting the back of the stove directly into an unlined 8x8 masonry chimney, via a masonry thimble.

I chose a NC-30 (timberline I believe). I also purchased Duravent brand Duraliner rigid SS, 0” clearance chimney liner, and the Duravent wall pass through thimble (6dlr-wpt ).

My questions....
1. I’m going to put another hole higher up on chimney (18” below ceiling) . This is to allow a 6” Wall Pass Through (WPT) Thimble, which will enter the masonry chimney. Connected to the WPT thimble is of course the T connection in my SS liner system. Do I need to mortar in a masonry or galvanized thimble for the above to connect through? If so, which one? Seems I could cut galvanized to length, but maybe not masonry.

2. Due to the thickness of brick in wall, I think only 3 1/2” to 4” of inner SS sleeve in WPT thimble will connect, or overlap with inner sleeve in WPT thimble. Will this overlap be enough (WPT thimble has rigid wall and stainless sliding wall. Sliding wall connects to T, and other end stays in WPT)?

3. Also, I’m assuming I need some kind of connector that allows me to connect myTractor Supply single wall stove pipe with the double wall pipe coming of of my WPT thimble (stove side of thimble)?

Thanks in advance as I have gotten lots of information off of here and I’m sure I will continue to get more good info… Thanks again.
You pretty much just follow what ever the wall pass through instructions say. I have never used that system so can't help much