Complete Newbie Installing a Camp Stove into a Tiny House

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TinyHouse21

Oct 22, 2020
Montana
Hello! First time poster here. I'm grateful that all of you are so willing to be helpful for newbies like me!

First, a little backstory. I built a tiny house here in Montana this summer (with help), and consider myself relatively handy thanks to doing so. Well, my wife and I aren't as far along as we thought thanks to her jewelry business taking off and myself being in nursing school, and are getting a bit cold now! Right now heating with space heater(s) and we dropped to 40 inside last night. There's a cold front blowing through this weekend, so we are less than excited.

But, my dad gave me his wall tent stove that he bought a few years ago and a pipe/chimney(?) for it.

IMG_8798.jpgIMG_8799 (1).jpg

I have several problems though. I cannot afford to pay someone to figure my problems out for me, so here I am asking. First problem is that I have little idea what I am doing, and my dad's experience is limited to wall tent applications. Second is that the inner-diameter of the double-wall pipe is 4", and the stove diameter is 5".
IMG_8797.jpg
I think I rectified that by purchasing this reducer, but I wanted to check here too.
Third, I don't know if I need a ceiling support or what I need to go through the ceiling, or even if what I have is good!
IMG_8804.jpg
I don't need to worry about code being on a trailer, but obviously I would rather be safe, do it right, and not burn my house down! The current double-wall pipe is tall enough to go through the roof and extend about 2 feet once I have the stove mounted on the hearth.
IMG_8805.jpg

Any advice is appreciated, other than to buy a new stove or hire someone, because I don't have that money right now, so I have to make due.

Also, the photo with my finger is the approx location I would want the pipe to go through, and that would be on the high side of the house.

The house is on wheels, but won't be moving until next spring at the earliest.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_8802.jpg
    IMG_8802.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 99
If that little stove is a wood burner, you can't use the venting he gave you.
That is Direct Vent (DV) gas appliance (stove - fireplace) venting & is NOT
rated for solid fuels (ie. WOOD)...

Hello! First time poster here. I'm grateful that all of you are so willing to be helpful for newbies like me!

First, a little backstory. I built a tiny house here in Montana this summer (with help), and consider myself relatively handy thanks to doing so. Well, my wife and I aren't as far along as we thought thanks to her jewelry business taking off and myself being in nursing school, and are getting a bit cold now! Right now heating with space heater(s) and we dropped to 40 inside last night. There's a cold front blowing through this weekend, so we are less than excited.

But, my dad gave me his wall tent stove that he bought a few years ago and a pipe/chimney(?) for it.View attachment 265333
View attachment 265334

I have several problems though. I cannot afford to pay someone to figure my problems out for me, so here I am asking. First problem is that I have little idea what I am doing, and my dad's experience is limited to wall tent applications. Second is that the inner-diameter of the double-wall pipe is 4", and the stove diameter is 5".
View attachment 265332
I think I rectified that by purchasing this reducer, but I wanted to check here too.
Third, I don't know if I need a ceiling support or what I need to go through the ceiling, or even if what I have is good!
View attachment 265337
I don't need to worry about code being on a trailer, but obviously I would rather be safe, do it right, and not burn my house down! The current double-wall pipe is tall enough to go through the roof and extend about 2 feet once I have the stove mounted on the hearth.
View attachment 265336

Any advice is appreciated, other than to buy a new stove or hire someone, because I don't have that money right now, so I have to make due.

Also, the photo with my finger is the approx location I would want the pipe to go through, and that would be on the high side of the house.

The house is on wheels, but won't be moving until next spring at the earliest.

Thank you!
Well first off you do need to worry about codes. Mobile home codes apply to mobile tiny houses. First you will need a hearth and ventilated wall sheilds covering anything within 36" of that stove. Then you need to get some 5" chimney pipe rated for use with a wood stove what you have looks like pipe meant for use with gas. With that chimney pipe you will get all of the required supports and fittings.