Complete newbie with a WoodChuck 3200.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom K

Sep 19, 2013
Hey,

I bought a house with what appears to be a Woodchuck 3200 wood/coal boiler in the basement. Check out the pictures. Never heated with wood before but I'm not afraid of learning new things either. Check out the pictures. I can tell that the large tank on the the ground holds water from the boiler. I also know that you can run this thing on electric alone and that works fine to heat the house (at a significant cost). The unit seems really solid but needs a cleaning. I couldn't find a manual for this beast any where, I don't think they make them anymore.

I guess you chuck the wood in the middle door and the thermostat control the blower under the fire as well as the water pump. That's about where I am right now. I'm going to clean it this week and and inspect the insides a bit better. I do not know what that little expansion tank is up in my rafters above the boiler.

What can you guys tell me about this unit? I couldn't really find a wood boilers for dummies video on youtube either, maybe when I'm done learning I should post one.

Maybe this post will help the next guy looking for help!
CAM00707.jpg CAM00708.jpg CAM00709.jpg CAM00710.jpg CAM00711.jpg CAM00712.jpg CAM00713.jpg CAM00714.jpg View attachment 112172 View attachment 112173

Hey,

I bought a house with what appears to be a Woodchuck 3200 wood/coal boiler in the basement. Check out the pictures. Never heated with wood before but I'm not afraid of learning new things either. Check out the pictures. I can tell that the large tank on the the ground holds water from the boiler. I also know that you can run this thing on electric alone and that works fine to heat the house (at a significant cost). The unit seems really solid but needs a cleaning. I couldn't find a manual for this beast any where, I don't think they make them anymore.

I guess you chuck the wood in the middle door and the thermostat control the blower under the fire as well as the water pump. That's about where I am right now. I'm going to clean it this week and and inspect the insides a bit better. I do not know what that little expansion tank is up in my rafters above the boiler.

What can you guys tell me about this unit? I couldn't really find a wood boilers for dummies video on youtube either, maybe when I'm done learning I should post one.

Maybe this post will help the next guy looking for help!
View attachment 112164 View attachment 112165 View attachment 112166 View attachment 112167 View attachment 112168 View attachment 112169 View attachment 112170 View attachment 112171 View attachment 112172 View attachment 112173

========================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================

If it does not have one already you need to have a
residential backflow preventer installed in the
water feeder line to the boiler.

The expansion tank is just that- for control of the hot water
pressure created by the boiler. That is why the tank is at the highest point in the system.

Hi Guys! I also have acquired a woodchuck wood fired boiler and cannot find directions. Although it is basically simple, I don't want to forget something important. I'm going to use it as a pool heater. The guy I bought it from says I shouldn't because the chlorinated water will cause it to rust. Does anyone know if this is true? Being that it is very thick steel, I figure it would take many years before it starts leaking. Thanks for the tip about the expansion tank. I would not have thought about that and is something important. I probably should install a check valve, pressure relief valve, pressure gauge, temp gauge, ( though the water in this application will never get that hot ), and a circulation pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.