Computer Issues - Logging on to accounts, Amazon, Comcast, Landsend, etc.. HHEEELLLPPP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
daveswoodhauler said:
Jags said:
daveswoodhauler said:
It goes back to IE 7. Still having the same issues.
Looks like I am just going to back everything up and then wipe the drive clean and start from scratch?

I bet it is a certificate issue. BUT - I am a firm believer in wiping a drive into oblivion and starting over. I find that I often have less time involved in a full reload than I do in trouble shooting (I am a computer dude by profession)

Problem is I can't find my original install disc that came with the laptop :(

Keep looking - nobody throws them away. I probably have 15 or 20 copies of perfectly good WIN98 you could have. :lol:

Jags said:
daveswoodhauler said:
Jags said:
daveswoodhauler said:
It goes back to IE 7. Still having the same issues.
Looks like I am just going to back everything up and then wipe the drive clean and start from scratch?

I bet it is a certificate issue. BUT - I am a firm believer in wiping a drive into oblivion and starting over. I find that I often have less time involved in a full reload than I do in trouble shooting (I am a computer dude by profession)

Problem is I can't find my original install disc that came with the laptop :(

Keep looking - nobody throws them away. I probably have 15 or 20 copies of perfectly good WIN98 you could have. :lol:

They are gone....This is going to be fun

Found the discs, now where to begin....anyone know of a dummys guides to reformatting a hard drive?
Also, if there is malware on the computer, will a reormat get rid of it?

daveswoodhauler said:
Found the discs,

I told ya. ;-)
FIRST - backup anything you want reloaded. Your email, your "My Documents", pics, whatever.
Drop the disk in the drive and reboot the machine. It should boot off of the disk or ask you. If it doesn't you may need to make a cmos change, but we will approach that if it shows up.

It will go through a series of questions. This will REFORMAT your drive. NOTHING on the drive will survive.

Ok, I think I found some directions.
I'll run out and grab a usb drive to back up the files.
Looks like the dell manual says to start out with a system restore (returns computer to an earlier operating state)...if that doesn't work there is a Dell factory Image Restore that perm deletes all data on the hard drive and removes any programs installed after I rec'd the computer) Not sure if this would get rid of the malware.

daveswoodhauler said:
Looks like the dell manual says to start out with a system restore (returns computer to an earlier operating state)...if that doesn't work there is a Dell factory Image Restore that perm deletes all data on the hard drive and removes any programs installed after I rec'd the computer) Not sure if this would get rid of the malware.

Its up to you, but I don't think a system restore is what you are looking for. Wipe it out and build it up. Just my opinion.

Jags said:
daveswoodhauler said:

Its up to you, but I don't think a system restore is what you are looking for. Wipe it out and build it up. Just my opinion.

Ok, just found the diretions on the full restore. Looks like I have 3 discs, the install software, the operating system software, and the drivers software.
Actually, I am in a way looking forward to it to get rid of all the crap accumulated on the laptop over the years.

I think I'll try the Dell factory image restore first...if that doesn't work, I'll wipe it clean and start new. (Might be checking back here later after I pickup a usb and backup the files, along with a 6 pack)

daveswoodhauler said:
Jags said:
daveswoodhauler said:

Ok, just found the diretions on the full restore. Looks like I have 3 discs, the install software, the operating system software, and the drivers software.
Actually, I am in a way looking forward to it to get rid of all the crap accumulated on the laptop over the years.

I think I'll try the Dell factory image restore first...if that doesn't work, I'll wipe it clean and start new. (Might be checking back here later after I pickup a usb and backup the files, along with a 6 pack)

Let me know, Dave. I'll even give ya a one time offer to PM me if ya need to. ;-P

Thanks Jags! :)
Xmas season is here, and I got to gets this laptop up and running soon....the Mrs's has not been a happy camper lately, and I really don't want to spend $100 at the local computer shop if I can fix it myself (with lots of help of course)
Looks like I have all the driver discs for the wireless/printer/Office/camera etc....so this is going to be my project for the afternoon.
Again, much thanks.

Have you tried Malwarebytes.com? They have a free download that finds malware. My PC was little more than a doorstop, ran MB, and it found and eliminated 80 infections. Runs like new now. Virus programs seldom find malware, BTW.

heat seeker said:
Have you tried Malwarebytes.com? They have a free download that finds malware. My PC was little more than a doorstop, ran MB, and it found and eliminated 80 infections. Runs like new now. Virus programs seldom find malware, BTW.

Tried to install that one and other, and could install....whatever it is, it is set up pretty good.
Drive is being formatted right now

Jags said:
daveswoodhauler said:

Yay! Go Dave GO.
Ok, got an internet connection up, and my wife can log onto comcast......woooohooooooo.
Wait for it..........logged onto Amazon.com and she can see her shopping cart.............nice.
I have to say, whatever program was on there was causing some huge issues.....Took me about an hour just to get windows explorer open to copy files to the usb.
Just for protection I am runnig Malwarebytes on my pc now just to see if Trend Micro is missing stuff.
Well, now I gotta load all the drives onto the laptop and data files....might be time for another beer.

daveswoodhauler said:
Jags said:
daveswoodhauler said:

Yay! Go Dave GO.
Ok, got an internet connection up, and my wife can log onto comcast......woooohooooooo.
Wait for it..........logged onto Amazon.com and she can see her shopping cart.............nice.
I have to say, whatever program was on there was causing some huge issues.....Took me about an hour just to get windows explorer open to copy files to the usb.
Just for protection I am runnig Malwarebytes on my pc now just to see if Trend Micro is missing stuff.
Well, now I gotta load all the drives onto the laptop and data files....might be time for another beer.

Sweet! I will guarantee that Malwarebytes will catch stuff that your antivirus does not. I got money on that (and I don't care what anti-virus you run).

Get yourself another beer and get it loaded up while your hot. Mama will thank you.

First post from the laptop. Sweet.
Ran malwarebyte on my pc upstairs, and it found nothing.
Ok, gotta load some more software.....crap...its only 4:15 and I'm on my 4th beer....might be an early evening, lol

Well, the mrs's is very happy...we will see if it truly is a productive evening.
Thanks so much for the help.

daveswoodhauler said:
Thanks so much for the help.

Ain't no thing. I do this stuff (amongst other stuff) all day long. I was gonna ask if you needed me to get onboard and take over, but I saw that you had everything under control. :coolsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.