Condensation issue???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jimmygwg

Dec 18, 2021
Somerset
I and am hoping you can give me some advice about a problem I am getting with our chimney. Chimney is fitted with a new liner and anti downdraught euro cowl. We are burning home fire smokeless coal . The cowl appears to be dripping a brown creosote type liquid from it which is now running down the chimney face. The coal comes bagged and appears to be dry, and we burn it at 350/400 deg Fahrenheit. The only time the temperature would drop is through the night, but we are not chucking more on and then leaving it to slow burn. I’ve tried looking online and people suggest wet coal or loading up coal and left to slumber overnight which I don’t think is the problem in this case. Others say the cowl is the coldest part of the chimney and can cause the hot smoke to condensate producing creosote drips. I’m at a bit of a loss with it all as it’s getting quite bad now and was hoping you might have some helpful advice.
I have attached a photo of it.

E1674A79-82D7-4778-BEAE-0A3B03C61E78.png

With my old house

I had same issue with oil boiler in a liner with a tile chimney...it wasn't insulated...

I never figured it out...one chimney company said it was moisture issue...but I thought it was the eco green oil..