Condensation on your OAK?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmaclaren

Dec 8, 2010
Seacoast, NH
Now it may be due to the fast on set of the cold weather in a time of high humidity but my OAK, 15' of it from my Harman Furnace to the outside has condensation along most if it.

How is all on your end?

My OAK is only about 20" long.Noticed it had frost on it last year
so I insulated it to try and keep the humid inside air off it and keep
the cold in the pipe.

I've got about the same length on my OAK from the pellet stove.
It runs down the fireplace ash dump down thru the basement
and out the wall to the outside. Never any condensation.
Basement stays around 60 degrees though so that may be why.

My OAK is only about 18" long inside. It gets cold, but no condensation shows on it.

I get LOTS of condensation. In the morning I'll even have a few drops of water behind the stove on the hearth board. As the cold weather progresses and my house gets drier the drops of water will stop but I still get the condensation or frost. Completely normal. You should see my high efficiency propane furnace, the pvc is loaded with condensation when it's running. If you want to stop the condensation from forming you could do what the guys mentioned above and insulate the pipe.

GrahamInVa said:
My OAK is steaming hot where it comes into my stove. :)

Haha. Is it really that hot? If I remember correctly you have a longer venting system than I do (Mines about 6'). Even on mine I can feel the difference between where the pipe comes into the house vs. at the concentric fitting behind the stove. Funny thing is that the installer said, "Wow, I'm surprised you went with this stuff. I've only seen it once before." I started listing the reasons why I like it including the fact that it will somewhat "pre-heat" the incoming outside air. He laughed and said it wouldn't heat the air at all.

dmaclaren said:
Now it may be due to the fast on set of the cold weather in a time of high humidity but my OAK, 15' of it from my Harman Furnace to the outside has condensation along most if it.

How is all on your end?

Hello dmaclaren

My basement pellet stove OAK is also 15 feet long but no condensation. It is in the basement of a walkout split so the basement is dry. Is your basement below grade and damp and musty? Then either get the double wall pellet pipe that preheats the OAK air or insulate the OAK. Actually preheating the OAK air is the best way to go!!

On my Quad Castile I have about 18" of OAK. During the real cold weather I have some condensation/frost for about the fist 3" just after exiting the inside wall.
I have a small rectangular dish that the wife supplied to catch anything that might drip to keep it off the hearth.

I will say that the Castile is not exactly air tight and probably isn't pulling all its combustion air from the OAK, your stove may be pulling a lot more air from the OAK.

Attachments

• OAK-moisture-pan.jpg
    OAK-moisture-pan.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 255
mepellet said:
GrahamInVa said:
My OAK is steaming hot where it comes into my stove. :)

Haha. Is it really that hot? If I remember correctly you have a longer venting system than I do (Mines about 6'). Even on mine I can feel the difference between where the pipe comes into the house vs. at the concentric fitting behind the stove. Funny thing is that the installer said, "Wow, I'm surprised you went with this stuff. I've only seen it once before." I started listing the reasons why I like it including the fact that it will somewhat "pre-heat" the incoming outside air. He laughed and said it wouldn't heat the air at all.

Yes, it really heats up. Its about 100*. But the outside of the vent pipe is room temp or maybe a touch more. The integrated OAK really cools down the vent pipe but in return it heats intake air up.

My 4" vent/OAK is about 15' or so.

My OAK is 24" and will condensate. I also have a small drip pan where the line sags.
It used to condensate all the way to the stove. Being conserned about water dripping on electronics
I used an adhesive insulation wrap and wrapped the pipe at the stove, problem solved.
HD or Lowes has the wrap it is foil faced foam, maybe 3/16" thick.

Status
Not open for further replies.