Condensing boiler flu

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BigJ273

Minister of Fire
Feb 15, 2015
Maryland
I may be overthinking this, but looking for some opinions. Recently had a condensing boiler installed, with a horizontal flu exiting the side of the house. I’ve attached some pics. I understand the exhaust is quite acidic, as is the condensate. My concern is, based on the placement, do you think the exhaust would begin to rust the metal covering the facia and drip edge on the roof? For the most part, the exhaust shoots out to the side as it’s supposed to. But when it’s windy it can blow towards the house. The soffit above it is closed, so I’m not concerned about that. More concerned about the potential rusting of the metal on the facia. It’s been about 5 months, and so far so good. I really don’t wanna move it if it’s not necessary

A85AE0A9-A655-4BCB-A8CA-2D0AB42EF051.png B15EFC9A-56FF-4B31-9BAD-086DC9A0A5DF.png

Isn't the facia aluminum? Personally I would just keep it there.

I have been installing condensing LP and Natural gas furnaces for well over twenty years and never have seen were the exhaust has caused a issue with the siding or trim and that has been on aluminum and steel alike.

I have been installing condensing LP and Natural gas furnaces for well over twenty years and never have seen were the exhaust has caused a issue with the siding or trim and that has been on aluminum and steel alike.
Thank you very much!!