Conestoga Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Cool Stove! I have a Fisher Grandma as my shop stove. Put 5/8 wide flat gasket in the channel on the stove face to make it air tight and adjustable as intended. Can you post a picture of the interior baffle? My Grandma is a 1979 model one year before the baffle was added and I'd like to add one to get it cleaner burning but don't want to guess on how & where. Thanks.

Reactions: Earnit
Cool Stove! I have a Fisher Grandma as my shop stove. Put 5/8 wide flat gasket in the channel on the stove face to make it air tight and adjustable as intended. Can you post a picture of the interior baffle? My Grandma is a 1979 model one year before the baffle was added and I'd like to add one to get it cleaner burning but don't want to guess on how & where. Thanks.
Mine appears to be a piece of metal about 12" x 16" placed inside upper fire box horizontally across the top raised portion of the stove and welded up in there. (May not be exactly 12"x16") I reached up in the stove from the firebox opening and there is about 3-4" clearance ( for smoke to get to flue) to the left and right walls of that upper portion of the stove. If you measure down in the flue opening the steel is about 2" lower than the top of the stove. (There are some other baffle ideas over in the Fisher section.)

Only picture I have is from the stove top opening. Here also is an additional pic (someone else's stove) I grabbed and marked approximately where the baffle is (orange dots). Smoke would flow left and right of those dots.

IMG_20210121_115925.jpgBaffle.jpg

Last edited:
401B14A4-D2E7-417D-ADC0-51AD0608684C.jpegEB7E7230-0018-44A6-9BC2-6737F1AD440F.jpeg
Here some picture of ours that was already in the house we just bought so i’ve got not much information about it. It came with a front removable screen .

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my Findlay Conestogo woodstove in 1979 and has worked great. It is still in wonderful condition. My problem is that it does not have a ULC certification label on it. I recently had to change home insurance companies and they will not insure my home unless I remove it or prove that I have disconnected it. Does anyone know if this stove can be approved to meet present day insurance requirements. I am in Canada.

Most likely not without ULC testing.