Confirmation of Canadian clearances?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Derodeo

Sep 14, 2016
Saskatchewan, Canada
Hello folks, I'm going to be installing a Drolet Savannah wood stove in a corner and I'd like to do so with minimal clearances. I'm finding it a little confusing to determine precisely what those clearance are.

Naturally I'll be using double-wall stove pipe and a heat resistant wall covering - 1" air gap using steel strapping and cement board covered with tile and the appropriate air gaps at the bottom and top (though if I can find some suitable decorative metal I may use that instead of the tile). The confusing part is that the instructions state a 12" minimum gap (for double-wall pipe) between the rear corner of the stove and combustible materials. That distance stays exactly the same for the U.S. once you add a wall shield because 12" is the minimum in the US.

But I'm in Canada and the manual says the distance can be reduced to 50% with the proper wall shielding (or 67% with sheet metal) and there's no minimum stated for Canada. Does this mean I can install the stove at 6" (or even 4") from the corners to my drywall? That would be great except I like to understand why the difference. Are US regulations too strict? Has no applicable testing been done with wall heat shields? To me this makes about as much sense as how double-wall stove pipe above the stove significantly affects how close the stove itself can be placed to combustibles.

Thanks for your advice.

Hello folks, I'm going to be installing a Drolet Savannah wood stove in a corner and I'd like to do so with minimal clearances. I'm finding it a little confusing to determine precisely what those clearance are.

Naturally I'll be using double-wall stove pipe and a heat resistant wall covering - 1" air gap using steel strapping and cement board covered with tile and the appropriate air gaps at the bottom and top (though if I can find some suitable decorative metal I may use that instead of the tile). The confusing part is that the instructions state a 12" minimum gap (for double-wall pipe) between the rear corner of the stove and combustible materials. That distance stays exactly the same for the U.S. once you add a wall shield because 12" is the minimum in the US.

But I'm in Canada and the manual says the distance can be reduced to 50% with the proper wall shielding (or 67% with sheet metal) and there's no minimum stated for Canada. Does this mean I can install the stove at 6" (or even 4") from the corners to my drywall? That would be great except I like to understand why the difference. Are US regulations too strict? Has no applicable testing been done with wall heat shields? To me this makes about as much sense as how double-wall stove pipe above the stove significantly affects how close the stove itself can be placed to combustibles.

Thanks for your advice.
will depend on the Canadian code used in a similar fashion to the US "NFPA211" the 211 lists a chart which shows a percentage of reduction as well as a minimum, I do not know the Canadian code or how it applies but in the 211 it states that unless the "listed clearance" (unprotected) is less, the minimum clearance after reduction is 12 inches. I would assume Canada will be the same but I do not know for certain

I came across this, but I think it shows what you've already said.

http://www.woodheat.org/clearances.html

http://www.homepro.ca/newsletters/WETT/4shields.pdf

The homepro link mentions something I've heard before regarding drywall, that it may be considered a combustible...look into that before you pull the trigger. (silly, I know)

A few other things to consider. Where will your double wall pipe go to meet the support box? Do you have a clear shot straight up (from where you want the stove to sit)? If you put the stove at minimum clearances, will it affect how the roof flashing goes on the chimney?

Thanks for the feedback. I have now heard back from Drolet tech support who confirmed I can indeed reduce the 12" corner clearance by 50 - 67% with the proper wall shielding in place. Being a Canadian company (more or less), I think they might want to make that information more explicit in their documentation. It makes a big difference for me as I am installing it in a smaller room. I will install the flue straight up through the ceiling - the only complication is having a metal roof so I'll be using a special (expensive) flashing kit. Oh and likely having to modify a rafter (sigh). With it being a corner install, the double-wall stove pipe clearance won't be an issue here. I'll put the shielding up to the ceiling height (less 3") as I feel that looks better than looking down an air gap.

Status
Not open for further replies.