Confirming Pellet Clearance (insulation shield )

  • Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

    We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

    We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dlux4life

Member
Aug 19, 2022
20
Salem, NH
Installing my Harman xxv. In an area with quite a few windows and am venting through the first floor roof. It’s in a breakfast nook of our kitchen.

In order to get the piping centered on the window, and to get the right plan I need for the roof collar, I needed to cut a rafter and rebuild some of the framing.

I added a double header per the recommendation of a gc friend. It’s a short span, only about 3’.

My question is specific to my understanding of the attic insulation shield clearance. That simply ensures the 1” clearance is maintained, meaning combustible materials can be within 1” of the outside of the shield (As opposed to requiring 1” clearance to the outside of the shield)?

In order to get the framing in to where I feel comfortable it will support any snow load, I have a header fairly close to the outside of the insulation shield.

I plan on redoing the insulation around the shield area with rockwool, but that may be unnecessary given the proximity to the header.
 

Attachments

  • [Hearth.com] Confirming Pellet Clearance (insulation shield )
    IMG_1399.webp
    101.1 KB · Views: 10
  • [Hearth.com] Confirming Pellet Clearance (insulation shield )
    IMG_1397.webp
    150.8 KB · Views: 10
  • [Hearth.com] Confirming Pellet Clearance (insulation shield )
    IMG_1398.webp
    147.5 KB · Views: 10