Conflicting information for clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Did the insurance company say why the stove had to go?

Bring the stove install up to MFG specs and code. Then go find a new insurance company. I wouldnt deal with a insurer that just makes blanket demands.

Did the insurance company say why the stove had to go?

They didn't say, other than it clearly didn't meet clearances. I think they were hoping we would just say okay and take it out. When I asked for more details they said they weren't able to give an itemized list of what needed to be done. If we have to ditch the insurance, so be it.

Bring the stove install up to MFG specs and code. Then go find a new insurance company. I wouldnt deal with a insurer that just makes blanket demands.

MFG meaning the stove manufacture's specs according to the manual? We may have to find a new insurance company. It left a bad taste in my mouth when they requested it be removed vs requesting it be modified. It's Maine! Probably 90% of the old homes I've been in have wood stoves that don't fall into the category of properly installed. I am grateful for this process though. I have learned a lot!

Conflicting information for clearances

Alrighty! I feel confident I've got this figured out. We don't have a rear heat shield attached to the stove and it's single insulated pipe BUT if I'm reading this correctly the manual says it says you can use U.L listed wall protectors or make your own according to the NFPA code 211.

Hopefully I've got the numbers right. Hearth will be 36" wide by 50" deep. We will have sheet metal attached to the rear wall using one inch non combustible spacers. We will run the sheet metal behind the stove and chimney.

If you are in southern Maine I have a great independent insurance company to recommend. Not sure how far north they go but it would be worth a call.