Confused about pex

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

medan

Apr 26, 2008
corinna maine
Hi I have a old house that has pex thru out. I have had it for about 9 months now and had to replace the faucet in the bathroom. So when I when I went to turn the water off for the faucet I discovered there are no individual shut offs for for bathroom fixtures and kitchen fixtures etc. So I had to turn off the water for the whole house. I have decided to start to add shut offs a few at a time when I have the extra time and money, they cant cost that much. But now when I start to research what tools I will need for this I find crimping tools for pex. When I saw richard the plumber on this old house working with pex he had a tool that expanded the end of the tube and then slipped the end of the fixture into the tube and it closed around it. That is the way my plumbing is done . So what is the deal with the crimping tools with a metal band? Im kind of confused. Dan

Maybe this'll get you started:

http://www.pexinfo.com/

Good luck with it. I can't imagine why in the world your system was ever installed without individual fixture isolation valves...what a bother! Rick

A lot of places will rent/loan you the crimping tool. Kind of expensive to buy a good one. Buy a whole bunch of shut offs and do the lot in a day with the tool.

I could have used one of those a few weeks back.

Status
Not open for further replies.