Congratulations and the booby prize, kiln dried?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You scrounge? Then scrounge yourself up some pine and get it css asap. Pine dries pretty quick and it's usually easy pickings because people still believe it'll burn your house down.

If I see it I'll grab it. Burning pine and cedar courtesy of Sandy that is burning nicely after only about a year CSS. Some as we speak.

I've got some freshly cut pine...it's not splitting easily (by hand). Does it split better when it's colder, or when it's sat for a while? Thanks!

We use a splitter. It does split better after it sits for a bit, when it's fresh it's a sticky mess. It still splits into sort of odd shapes even later, but it's better if the saps run out a bit. We got a bunch of beetle kill that split pretty nice!

I've got some freshly cut pine...it's not splitting easily (by hand). Does it split better when it's colder, or when it's sat for a while? Thanks!

I'm burning some White Pine tonight, fell last February in our yard, was probably about 80' tall, and about .16" at the stump/ 10 Months later, and it's 15%, burns hot as paper, no coals and tons of ash. Love the heat, but hate having to reload every 90 minutes. It seemed to actually split easier when it was frozen solid. I originally split this stuff huge, because it was destined for the firepit this summer, but it's happily burning in the stove tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies.