Connecting DVL pipe to wall thimble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tjvt

May 1, 2014
VT
Hooking up a stove in our mobile home. Plan to use DVL stove pipe to wall thimble and out to Dura Plus chimney. Telescoping DVL from stove (top outlet) to 90, then maybe small length of pipe to wall thimble. My first question is do I need some kind of adapter to connect the DVL to the thimble? I’m hoping I can just hook the 90 to the thimble if it gives enough clearance.

Mobile home flue systems tend to be short. Many modern stoves require a minimum 16' flue system height. For that reason, it's really best to run straight up through the roof and usually, that is less costly. Each 90º turn in the flue path is like losing 2 ft of chimney height due to the resistance, so an out-the-wall system is going effectively to lose 4 ft in height.

Duravent makes the adapters for the transition.

Also, select a stove that requires 12-13' of flue. Several Canadian-made stoves have this lower height requirement.

It’s a Lopi Answer stove and I’m not even sure how much chimney it needs. That’s good to know about running straight up instead of out wall. Although then I’d have to sweep it from top down? That sounds like a challenge.

Yes, adapter for stove collar and into the Class A needed

It’s a Lopi Answer stove and I’m not even sure how much chimney it needs. That’s good to know about running straight up instead of out wall. Although then I’d have to sweep it from top down? That sounds like a challenge.
The minimum flue system height for the Answer is 15 ft. from the floor to the chimney cap or about 13' from the flue collar to the top.

It can be swept from the bottom up by gently removing the baffle board. Or, if there is a telescoping pipe for the connector, then by lifting the pipe off of the stove for access.