Connecting grill propane tank to propane line

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Robert Sherer

Dec 7, 2020
Poughkeepsie, NY
We are only home one month of the year and so a normal-sized propane tank used for a grill is fine. However, I'm having trouble finding the right connectors between the propane tank (standard for propane grill) and the feed line to the fireplace which uses propane. The fitting to the propane fireplace is attached. The local hardware store was of no help. Is there a place I can order the right fitting that mates with a propane grill hose?

IMG_2495.jpg

Just to clarify, the propane tank would sit outside. The copper line was installed when the house was built and should be to code. I just want to connect the propane tank with the typical propane grill connection to the tank to the copper line from the houses pictured in the attachment. My problem is in figuring out what to order for mating the output of the propane tank to the copper line from the house.

All help is appreciated.

What is the OD of your copper pipe?
You will need a flared fitting of the correct size (1/4" or 3/8")
with a 1/2" male NPT on the other end.