Connecting Pellet Stove to Flex Chimney Liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ecohe

Oct 4, 2020
Maryland
Hello,

I am new to hooking up stoves, so forgive me if my questions are basic.

I am replacing an old pellet stove with a new one (PelPro PP90) and I have a couple of questions about the connection and which parts are needed:

1) To test things out, I connected the stove using the Tee Adaptor and parts from the previous stand-alone stove which is vented through my chimey using a flexible pipe liner. The liner seems fine, but the old adaptor parts were not in perfect shape, so I planned to replace them. I am hoping to not connect the outside air. The previous stove didn't have that and I have no easy run from my basement to outside especially since the stove is standing on the hearth of my fireplace.

At any rate, when I start the stove up, lots of smoke is escaping through the adaptor and 45-degree elbow. I have used some high temp sealant to see if I could slow that down, but it hasn't worked very well so far. And for what it's worth, after the stove gets going, I am not seeing smoke anymore, but maybe that's because there isn't much to see. Smoke definitely escapes the top of the chimney.

Could the problem I am having be an indication that I need to use the outside air hookup, or could it just be an indication that I need new adaptor parts (or to do a better job with sealant)?

2) I ordered some new adaptor parts already from Lowes including a DuraVent Stainless Steel Cleanout Tee for 3-in Vent Pipe and a 45 degree angle pipe. But I don't know what to get to connect the DuraVent pipe to the flexpipe. It's "too small" so it seems like it needs to be increased to the larger size and then I need something to connect that increaser to the flex pipe. Can anyone point me to the part/s that I need?

Thank you for reading. Hopefully my questions make some sense.