Connecting round to oval liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

debfrank

Feb 26, 2006
Installing a Hearthstone Morgan insert. New stainless 6" liner from stove connects to existing 6" by 8" oval stainless chimney liner which is mortared in above the smoke shelf. The new 6" round liner fits inside the oval (overlapping for a few inches). What do I use to seal the gap caused by the slightly larger oval liner? (There is good access from a door in the rear of the chimney, just above the smoke shelf, that was cut in when the oval liner was installed.)

Can't you install a 6 to 8 adapter so there's no gap?

Don't think so. The existing 6" by 8" oval liner is mortared in at the base of the old chimney tile. I can fit the 6" round inside of it by slightly "squashing" it to an oval. The fit is snug, execpt on the two side where the 8" dimension of the oval liner is larger than the new 6" round coming from the stove.

Take a look at www.hartshearth.com

Give them a call and see if they have a oval to round adapter or they also sell liner insulation that you could wrap around to fill in the gap.

debfrank said:
Don't think so. The existing 6" by 8" oval liner is mortared in at the base of the old chimney tile. I can fit the 6" round inside of it by slightly "squashing" it to an oval. The fit is snug, execpt on the two side where the 8" dimension of the oval liner is larger than the new 6" round coming from the stove.

If you have access to the place where the oval pipe is mortared in, you can mount another 6"l bottom plate onto the place where it is mortared and then stick your liner into the smaller opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.