Connecting the exhaust blower in a Whitfield Prodigy II ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

This Prodigy has the exhaust blower in the hopper but the clips were disconnected. Where do they connect in pic 4?

What is the difference between the Prodigy I and II ??

Date of Manufacture is Sept 1990 ! ! !

Pic 1 - Whitfield Prodigy
Pic 2 - Control Panel
Pic 3 - Exhaust blower
Pic 4 - Terminal Block
Pic 5 - Module
Pic 6 - Tag

Attachments

• WhitfieldProdigyII (1).JPG
    WhitfieldProdigyII (1).JPG
    312 KB · Views: 303
  • WhitfieldProdigyII (2).JPG
    WhitfieldProdigyII (2).JPG
    318.7 KB · Views: 200
  • WhitfieldProdigyII (3).JPG
    WhitfieldProdigyII (3).JPG
    278 KB · Views: 225
  • WhitfieldProdigyII (4).JPG
    WhitfieldProdigyII (4).JPG
    279.9 KB · Views: 237
  • WhitfieldProdigyII (5).JPG
    WhitfieldProdigyII (5).JPG
    299.4 KB · Views: 186
  • WhitfieldProdigyII (6).JPG
    WhitfieldProdigyII (6).JPG
    406.3 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Hello

This Prodigy has the exhaust blower in the hopper but the clips were disconnected. Where do they connect in pic 4?

What is the difference between the Prodigy I and II ??

Date of Manufacture is Sept 1990 ! ! !

Hello Don,

The very first Prodigy stoves were natural draft. No exhaust fan. Later series had a slaved exhaust fan. Same motor pulling both convection and exhaust fans. The exhaust fan on the Prodigy II was further improved by a booster relay ( this relay is present on your picture ).
On the last pages in the attached pdf below there's a good overview of the different wirings in the Prodigy series. This should hopefully help you to locate the clips. Click on the icon to download pdf.

Attachments

• whitfield sevice manuals_wire_diagrams.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 245
Last edited:
Thank-you Stovenson!

I see the exhaust fan called a Booster fan on this WP-3 Prodigy II is connected to the current sensing relay and the white wire on the terminal block. I just connected it, so I will see how it works!

Last edited:
Don, according to your pic 4 the stove has serial no. WH 6670.
In 1993 Whitfield made a change on the exhaust fan booster relay, starting with serial no. 7176. The wiring to this new booster relay ( solid state type ) was also changed.
A technical bulletin was issued by Whitfield with instructions on how to update the older stove series with the newer solid state relay. I have attached this technical bulletin pdf below. It may have some relevant information to the stove you're working on. Click on the icon to download pdf.

Attachments

• pRODIGY II New Relay for Prodigy II.pdf
    110.5 KB · Views: 164
Thanks Again Stovenson!

Also I do not understand that the stove in the bottom pedastal is both Combustion/Combustion blower. How does that work?
See pic below from Prodigy Technical manual page 16 ? ? ?

Attachments

• Combustion-ConvectionFan.jpg
    Combustion-ConvectionFan.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 156
The design was like the Avent and the Thelin using a thru shaft motor.
Give the stove more fan for the fire will also give the room more heat hopefully if the feed was working right

The design was like the Avent and the Thelin using a thru shaft motor.
Give the stove more fan for the fire will also give the room more heat hopefully if the feed was working right

Thanks
I do have the old 5 terminal relay but when I plugged the exhaust booster fan into the relay and the terminal block, it came on fine when the stove got hot! The stove ran for 2.5 hours so it looks like it is good to go!

Do you know if the newer 4 terminal solid state relay is still available to purchase?

See pics
Click to enlarge

Attachments

• WhitfieldProdigyII (7).JPG
    WhitfieldProdigyII (7).JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 153
  • WhitfieldProdigyII (8).JPG
    WhitfieldProdigyII (8).JPG
    178 KB · Views: 126
Do you know if the newer 4 terminal solid state relay is still available to purchase?

Congratulations on the working Prodigy II. The five terminal older relay is likely an electromechanical type versus the newer solid state type, and the functionality should be just as good in the older one. According to the technical bulletin the solid state type was only introduced in order to reduce Radio Frequency Interference ( RFI ). You know, on AM radios in the vicinity the switching noise should be audible.
Since 1993 many noise sources have entered our homes that produce a lot more RFI: Energy star light bulbs, cell phones, wifi, bluetooth etc. Some experts even consider these to be a health hazard ( especially cell phones ), but the switching noise from the Prodigy booster fan relay, I definitely wouldn't worry about.

There was an old thread on this forum, where a retired Whitfield dealer in Seattle sold out of the inventory. The thread is way back from 2008, so the parts are probably sold, but who knows? On the inventory list there were two pcs. of the booster relays for sale. Part no. 13545903. Link to the thread with inventory list and the dealers e-mailaddress: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/whitfield-parts-for-sale-advantage-prodigy-quest-cascade-profile-and-more….11223/

On the webshop at Woodheatstoves.com the booster relay is also listed with the same part no. 13545903. Link to the partslist at Woodheatstoves.com: http://woodheatstoves.com/prodigy-wp3-prodigy-ii-wp3-c-292_90_99_95_262.html
When you click on the part no. it returns this answer: That part is not listed in our online store, but maybe we can find it for you. Email us for further assistance!
What puzzles is that this part no. is different from the part no. 13525903 mentioned in the technical bulletin. Maybe it was further improved through the years?

Last edited:
Hello
Maybe it was improved.
Anyway the stove works great and I just have to give it a good paint job.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.