Electric Eco Smart On Demand DHW panel first Fix when element cleaning does not completely solve the issue of water not hot enough.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello
I have had the Eco Smart On Demand panel to heat the whole house DHW for over 6 years now and I am very happy with it.
Initial research thread below

Now, The first time after about 5 years the water did not get hot enough, a simple element cleansing fixed it right up.
See this thread below

This time, the cleaning did not fix the hot water issue so after some research I picked up a new flow sensor. I was advised to get the OEM sensor because it is more durable than the aftermarket. The flow sensor has an electronic module connected to an impeller to tell the control panel to increase the voltage in the heating elements for higher flow rates to keep the water up to the set temperature.
There are 2 ways to replace this sensor:
1. - Replace the whole valve
2. - Replace just the module and impeller.
Therefore I found from research option 2 was easier and worked just as well so that is what we did. So I switched the DHW back to the Buderus Boiler & SuperStor to give me plenty of time to order the part and replace it myself cheap. :)
Pic 1 & 2 - New OEM flow sensor
Pic 3 - Tools & wire ties to do the job
Pic 4 - Eco Smart panel with 4 Philip screws that must be removed with Phillip screw driver
Pic 5 - Eco Smart temperature control with 4 screws that must be removed with Phillip screw driver
Pic 6 - Eco Smart temperature control with cover off
Pic 7 - 2 wire tires that must be cut and flow module connector that must be unplugged with orange pic probe to release the latch prongs
Pic 8 - Old original flow sensor
Pic 9 - Sensor replaced! - See Red Arrow
Results
Just took a shower and water was piping hot the whole time. :)

EcoSmartFlowSensor1.jpg

EcoSmartFlowSensor2.jpg

EcoSmartFlowSensor3.jpg

EcoSmartFlowSensor4.jpg

EcoSmartFlowSensor5.jpg

EcoSmartFlowSensor7.jpg

EcoSmartFlowSensor8.jpg

View attachment 325423

EcoSmartFlowSensor9r.jpg

Last edited:
Have been toying with getting one of these but now that i see that it needs 3 lines of incoming power and i do not have to room in my panel for that.. What size of panel do you have as most in my area are 200 amps and with 3 60 amp breakers you do not leave much for anything else..

Have been toying with getting one of these but now that i see that it needs 3 lines of incoming power and i do not have to room in my panel for that.. What size of panel do you have as most in my area are 200 amps and with 3 60 amp breakers you do not leave much for anything else..
Hello
They do make a panel that is only 2 lines but I would not recommend that. I got the 27KW 3 - 40 amp breaker panel which is barely enough but if I had to do it over I would have went with the 36KW 4 breaker panel because the water out of the ground in NE is so cold in the winter. I upgraded the main panel from 100 amp to 200 amp and then added a 125 amp sub panel in the boiler room to supply this OnDemand DHW panel plus my 50 amp welder and my 50 Amp air compressor in the workshop.
Still the best part is I can switch off the oil completely to get but until July to buy a tank of oil cheap. Also when the oil boiler nozzle is all gummed up from the heat and will not fire, I can switch it off until I have time to install a new $6 nozzle on the burner. Of course it is nice to use the oil when the flow sensor above needs changing or the heating elements need a lime scale flush so I can get to do that when I have some free time. :)

Last edited: