Considering a Hearthstone Manchester

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

farmerdavid

Aug 13, 2019
Pagosa Springs CO
I live in Central Texas in an old home that is decently insulated, but quite drafty. Single pane aluminum windows.
I am considering a Hearthstone Manchester, but have read about some problems with the unit...Difficulty in starting a fire, flat bottom that is not recessed to hold ashes, poor seals...I'd like to hear from those who have bought later manufactured units.
I am also considering a Pacific Energy Alderlea T5 and a Osburn 2000. Both of these units are really to deep in dimension for my bricked hearth floor such that I would have do quite a bit of work though.

The 2019 T5 we got for my wife's sis only requires ember protection on the floor, no R-value. It's a welded steel box as well, minimal maintenance. Ash handling system ain't too good, but works. I'm spoiled since I've had grated ash handling. I like the Manchester's looks..
@webby3650 might have a pretty good read on the newer Manchesters, his shop handles Hearthstone I believe. But I think the 2020 stoves by any makers are going to be a question mark to everyone until they are in the field for a couple of years, at least..

Reactions: brian_in_idaho
The 2019 T5 we got for my wife's sis only requires ember protection on the floor, no R-value. It's a welded steel box as well, minimal maintenance. Ash handling system ain't too good, but works. I'm spoiled since I've had grated ash handling. I like the Manchester's looks..
@webby3650 might have a pretty good read on the newer Manchesters, his shop handles Hearthstone I believe. But I think the 2020 stoves by any makers are going to be a question mark to everyone until they are in the field for a couple of years, at least..
I agree, it will a while before we know how durable they will be. We installed new castleton a few weeks back. They did move the cat way back, so it should be out of the flames for the most part. I don’t like how hard it will be to access the day for cleaning and replacement. I guess I’m just really spoiled by Blaze King and a Woodstock.