Considering adding a heat zone kit to my Northstar fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KeithEB

Jun 11, 2020
Canterbury NH
I'm considering adding the Heat-Zone-WD-C accessory kit to my fireplace to heat my basement. My dealer doubted whether I have sufficient space within my framed fireplace enclosure to make the 180 degree turn and go though the floor. I'm a little short on some of the details I need to decide whether it is, indeed, possible and if so, consider doing the job myself.
My first question is the dimensions of the 6 in B-vent pipe. Is the outside diameter actually six inches. I will need to provide and additional two inches to that in order to satisfy the one inch clearance to combustibles requirement.
The next is also in regard to the B-vent pipe. I'll need to connect two 90 degree elbows together to affect the 180 degree turn. Would anyone be able to tell me what the center to center dimension would be for that turn? Thanks!

IMG_0902.jpgIMG_0903.jpg

6" will be the ID of the pipe. The OD will depend on the brand. Look at the Metalbest catalog for dimensions and the elbow offsets.