considering pellet heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chillz

Oct 14, 2014
ontario canada
Hi we I live outside Ottawa ontario, winters get cold.
We love in a 1300 square feet raised bungalow with the same living space in the basement.We have a chimney that is currently capped and have empty insert areas both on the main floor and basement of our family rooms.
We heat With oil only and spend close to 4000 last year in heating.
Our current furnace is located in a closet with the hot water tank.
I was thinking of replacing the furnace with pellet stove that hooks into the duct work and getting small electric rads as a backup or getting some pellet fireplace inserts for both living rooms.

We have two small kids and am some what weary of having one in the basement....

Anyways with the high heating prices it's time for a change....anyone have any recommendations.....and guesstimate prices

Hi we I live outside Ottawa ontario, winters get cold.
We love in a 1300 square feet raised bungalow with the same living space in the basement.We have a chimney that is currently capped and have empty insert areas both on the main floor and basement of our family rooms.
We heat With oil only and spend close to 4000 last year in heating.
Our current furnace is located in a closet with the hot water tank.
I was thinking of replacing the furnace with pellet stove that hooks into the duct work and getting small electric rads as a backup or getting some pellet fireplace inserts for both living rooms.

We have two small kids and am some what weary of having one in the basement....

Anyways with the high heating prices it's time for a change....anyone have any recommendations.....and guesstimate prices

A very broad question to answer, although the scenario you describe sounds like a classic case of a household that needs a pellet stove. I would start by browsing threads on this forum and doing a lot of reading, particularly the sticky threads highlighted in yellow. Plenty of options for your square footage requirements from high-end cost Harman and Enviro (Canadian company) stoves down to economically priced Englander stoves. It will come down to how hands-off you want to be, understanding that a clean stove is a happy stove and all require regular cleaning to perform well. Once you've had a chance to absorb some of the information on this board, there are folks on here with plenty of experience that can answer your specific questions. Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.