considering used VC encore 2550 (interior pic included). Any obvious concerns?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jbMA

Jul 6, 2021
Cape Ann
I am tempted to purchase a VC encore to fill the vacant hearth in the home we recently purchased. Sellers took their Encore and this would be the easiest "plug and play" option to swap in a stove with no additional work to the hearth or chimney pipe. This is a 2550 model. Looks pristine on the exterior. Owner says no issues whatsoever. Here's the only interior visual I have (before driving an hour+ to check it out). Anything about this immediately jump out as a concern or red flag? New stove owner (VC or otherwise), so I appreciate any experienced eyes on this. Thanks!
received_1452500775127548.jpeg

On the surface, this part looks good other than the wonky andiron. What is the year of manufacture? These stoves look beautiful, and when running well they are good heaters, but it's what behind the fireback that counts. They are complicated stoves. Have they ever replaced the refractory assembly? What is the age and condition of the cat? If no cracks some other issues to look for would be internal warping of the bypass, plugged ports, malfunctioning thermostat. Bottom line, if the price is excellent and you are prepared for a rebuild if necessary, then it may work out.

Thanks. Hard to know what an "excellent" price is for one of these stoves. I have been actively watching well-used Encores in my area going quickly for $1800, $1500, $2000. This one is listed for $1000, which still feels very expensive to me, but lower than most others I've seen. If the stove were to need all of these items you mention immediately, then that certainly doesn't feel like a great price. I understand that cats can eventually need replacement, but are all of these elements that you reference common replacement items for Encores? And to be expected (at least at some point)?

Thanks. Hard to know what an "excellent" price is for one of these stoves. I have been actively watching well-used Encores in my area going quickly for $1800, $1500, $2000. This one is listed for $1000, which still feels very expensive to me, but lower than most others I've seen. If the stove were to need all of these items you mention immediately, then that certainly doesn't feel like a great price. I understand that cats can eventually need replacement, but are all of these elements that you reference common replacement items for Encores? And to be expected (at least at some point)?
An excellent price would be on the $500 range. These are complicated stoves with lots of expensive parts. I would expect to spend atleast another $500 to $1000 on parts.

Thanks for that. From these comments and others, it seems these VC stoves are far more complex than many other brands? I'm thinking maybe the temptation to simply swap in the same stove for short term convenience is a short sited approach...

Yes, these stoves are more expensive for parts and more complicated. However, if this is a low mileage unit then $1000 is not unreasonable for an enameled model. The cat versions like this seem to have stood up better than the non-cat. If the stove has had the cat replaced and/or the combustion refractory replaced, then it could be good for a few years without replacing those parts. Hard to tell from a pretty picture.

Can you post a picture or two of where the removed stove was so that we can see what you are starting out with? What kind of chimney is it connected to, masonry or metal chimney? If masonry, is there a stainless liner in it already?

Yes, these stoves are more expensive for parts and more complicated. However, if this is a low mileage unit then $1000 is not unreasonable for an enameled model. The cat versions like this seem to have stood up better than the non-cat. If the stove has had the cat replaced and/or the combustion refractory replaced, then it could be good for a few years without replacing those parts. Hard to tell from a pretty picture.

Can you post a picture or two of where the removed stove was so that we can see what you are starting out with? What kind of chimney is it connected to, masonry or metal chimney? If masonry, is there a stainless liner in it already?

This is all I have to go by...

214358809_3943911949069042_3836377786582447909_n.jpg214331849_3943911059069131_7131159780953080490_n.jpg

Looks pretty, and it has the warming shelves which add value. However, I meant a shot of your house, where the previous owners took the stove from. I want to see where the stove would be going.

Ha. That makes sense too! If these look familiar, I think you may have answered some questions about an old Resolute I was considering purchasing but didn't act quickly enough. Second pic is the stove that the last owners took with them.
280025-001e10d3be40206c7b46fa0e9a9bb194.jpg
280030-6bd8dab7be6d0f067f82907fd555581a.jpg

Ah yes, I remember your quandary now.