"Contemporary" Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NNG

Aug 23, 2021
CA
Hi All,

I live in a cold climate for many months of year and am interested in augmenting our heating with a pellet stove. My ideal solution is a pellet/wood hybrid stove, but there seems to be an extremely limited number of these in existence.

Aduro (https://www.adurofire.com/aduro-hybrid/hybrid-stoves/aduro-h1/) has a stunning unit which seems to only be available in Europe. I reached out to the dealers and the best response I got was one in the UK who will ship to any port, and I pay shipping/import fees the rest of the way.

This leads me to a few of my questions:
  • What are some "designer" brands available in the North American market? I am not interested in the rustic/classic looking stoves and would prefer a more contemporary looking. Vicenza, Aduro, MCZ are some I came across but don't seem to have much/any North American presence.
  • Am I correct to assume that many of the European/non-North American units won't have the correct certifications for use here? Assuming this is correct, can I assume the risk is liability in a fire and home insurance being declined?
  • Are there any other hybrid units (pellet/wood) available in North America? The Aduro H1 really is the ideal solution for me, if only it were available.
Thanks

Even if you could get one, I see a couple issues right away. One, the ashpan is way too small and two' firing ' it is complex and one thing I've learned over the last 30 years of biomass stoves, simpler is always better to a point and that point is heat output. I see nowhere on their website is the BTU output listed. Finally. filling the pellet bin looks to me like a disaster in the making and most pellet bins need vacuuming out regularly. How do you even get to that one?

If you manage to get one, we'd like to hear about your experience with it.

European stoves are often smaller than US stoves. They are used as room and area heaters rather than whole house heaters. Scroll down for the specs. For heat output they list this as a 7 kW unit or about 23,800 BTUs/hr.

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 3.28.20 PM.png

For US available contemporary pellet stoves look at the Regency GF40, Harman Allure 50, Enviro P3 and Piazetta stoves.

European stoves are often smaller than US stoves. They are used as room and area heaters rather than whole house heaters. Scroll down for the specs. For heat output they list this as a 7 kW unit or about 23,800 BTUs/hr.

View attachment 281218
About enough to take the chill off your greenhouse... 23K BTU ain't much.

Even if you could get one of those stoves, how would you get the parts to maintain or repair the stove?

Reactions: creztor