Contractors in Connecticut

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Triumph562

Apr 18, 2022
Colchester, Connecticut
Hello,

I have been having a disappointing time finding a mechanical contractor willing to hook up my indoor wood gasification boiler to my oil boiler. It seems everyone is intimidated or disinterested in taking on the project. It involves hooking up my Eko 25 with 300 gallons of thermal storage to my oil boiler and zoned heating system. I have provided a wealth of documentation, piping diagrams, etc to make it as easy to understand as possible, to no avail.

I've spoken with Tarm Biomass in NH (very helpful, gave me a few possible leads), Sunwood Biomass in VT (also helpful but can't directly assist me), and dozens of other mechanical contractors. Either they are too far away, not licensed in CT, refuse to work on customer supplied equipment, or have no idea what I'm talking about. I'd rather pay someone to get this done the right way relatively quickly than tinker with it myself for months and maybe have it work mostly right.

I have an understanding of basic plumbing, threading pipe, sweating copper, etc, but I just don't have all the tools of logistical means to do it myself efficiently. I have a feeling I may not have a choice.

Does anyone know of any competent HVAC/Plumbers in the Connecticut area who would be willing to tie in my wood boiler with storage to my oil boiler for my home?

Thank you!

Hi
On my system the wood boiler with staorage isn't hooked to my oil boiler which is backup.
My wood boiler feeds the storage.My house is fed from a HX that seperates my wood boiler from my underground lines which have glycol in them.
My oil boiler is on the glycol side and is tied into the feed to the house with close tee's.
On my avatar pic you can see the two valves coming down from the top feed line to the right of the pump on it.

Hello,

I have been having a disappointing time finding a mechanical contractor willing to hook up my indoor wood gasification boiler to my oil boiler. It seems everyone is intimidated or disinterested in taking on the project. It involves hooking up my Eko 25 with 300 gallons of thermal storage to my oil boiler and zoned heating system. I have provided a wealth of documentation, piping diagrams, etc to make it as easy to understand as possible, to no avail.

I've spoken with Tarm Biomass in NH (very helpful, gave me a few possible leads), Sunwood Biomass in VT (also helpful but can't directly assist me), and dozens of other mechanical contractors. Either they are too far away, not licensed in CT, refuse to work on customer supplied equipment, or have no idea what I'm talking about. I'd rather pay someone to get this done the right way relatively quickly than tinker with it myself for months and maybe have it work mostly right.

I have an understanding of basic plumbing, threading pipe, sweating copper, etc, but I just don't have all the tools of logistical means to do it myself efficiently. I have a feeling I may not have a choice.

Does anyone know of any competent HVAC/Plumbers in the Connecticut area who would be willing to tie in my wood boiler with storage to my oil boiler for my home?

Thank you!

Mark Landucci​

President at Landucci Htng & Cooling Inc.​

Torrington, Connecticut,​

Thank you for the replies. I've decided I'm going to do the install myself. However one of the contacts Scott Gates from Tarm Biomass recommended did reach out to me. Greg Aubin and Sons Plumbing out of North Grosvenordale, CT. At this point I already committed to doing the install myself and let him know. Greg and I chatted for a while about the biomass industry. Greg has actually installed other EKOs for others in the past, amongst other similar designed biomass systems. Greg offered to assist me if I run into trouble, which gives me better confidence now.

Greg stated he used to do a biomass install 2-4 times a year, many years ago. Today he might do one every 2 years if at all. It seems that interest in wood boiler heating solutions is waning. This helps explain why no one knows what I was talking about during my contractor search. I ponder if this is possibly a function of the controversial EPA NSPS regulations (I enjoyed the NESCAUM vs. HBPA debate articles), which hinders the entrance of compliant European style boilers? I read this was one reason ATMOS has never tried to enter the market here.

Regardless, I'm feeling better I have this board and other local resources to assist me with my journey.

The Tarm I removed was installed by a local well regarded pro. It was neat and economical install but definitely illegal due to a flue shared with an oil boiler and in violation of the Tarm warranty that requires storage. Its really not that profitable for a pro to do an install only if they dont have the equipment markup along with the markup on labor. Every wood boiler install is a bit custom to tie into an existing heating system. The standard installs I have seen are easy to do but they are usually not optimal. Using non pressurized storage like mine also adds additional complexity. Even though many folks use modified propane tanks for pressurized storage, unless it was modified by a shop with an R Stamp willing to recertify the tank, a pro should not go near it as in most states he will be liable if it fails. A modified certified tank is going to cost a lot more than a propane tank from a scrap yard.

I know I have lot of hours in my install to get it the way I wanted it to run, I am a PE and if I had to stamp a design, my guess is my engineering fee would be well above the cost of the major equipment. Take a look at Siegenthaler's designs, they are elegant and super-efficient but definitely not economical for a typical residential install. I expect he makes far more teaching and consulting to industry than he does designing residential systems.

The Tarm I removed was installed by a local well regarded pro. It was neat and economical install but definitely illegal due to a flue shared with an oil boiler and in violation of the Tarm warranty that requires storage. Its really not that profitable for a pro to do an install only if they dont have the equipment markup along with the markup on labor. Every wood boiler install is a bit custom to tie into an existing heating system. The standard installs I have seen are easy to do but they are usually not optimal. Using non pressurized storage like mine also adds additional complexity. Even though many folks use modified propane tanks for pressurized storage, unless it was modified by a shop with an R Stamp willing to recertify the tank, a pro should not go near it as in most states he will be liable if it fails. A modified certified tank is going to cost a lot more than a propane tank from a scrap yard.

I know I have lot of hours in my install to get it the way I wanted it to run, I am a PE and if I had to stamp a design, my guess is my engineering fee would be well above the cost of the major equipment. Take a look at Siegenthaler's designs, they are elegant and super-efficient but definitely not economical for a typical residential install. I expect he makes far more teaching and consulting to industry than he does designing residential systems.

This analysis makes a lot of sense. Also one of the reasons I went with an ASME storage tank from Tarm. It already has all the ports I need on it with stamp.

Hello,

Thank you!
I live in Middletown CT and I am currently looking for a local installer as you did. Were you ever able to find someone to do your work? I read that you eventually did the installation yourself, but did you ever find any professional workers willing to do the installation?

I live in Middletown CT and I am currently looking for a local installer as you did. Were you ever able to find someone to do your work? I read that you eventually did the installation yourself, but did you ever find any professional workers willing to do the installation?
Jimor,

No, I never found anyone willing to do the install. Most just flat out said we don't do that or had no idea what I was talking about. Two vendors said they were going to work up a design/quote but never followed through after coming on site. One of them just threw a crazy 14K quotation for just labor and plumbing parts and never answered me after that.

The closest local resource I found was Greg Aubin & Sons as I posted above. He wasn't too keen to do another install but he did offer to provide technical guidance and even take a look in person to help me out if I got stuck.

I even called several commercial boiler/plumbing outfits, even the biomass powerplant in plainfield if they knew maintenance techs that might be interested in moonlighting. No call backs.

I begged a few companies who had some biomass or alternative heating background. Fox Heating Service Inc. out of Stafford flat out told me they don't work on customer supplied equipment, despite my groveling on the phone with the secretary. They advertise the Econoburn boiler.

I will say this. I work with a group of licensed HVAC and plumbers as a safety professional. They were extremely impressed I was able to do it and said they wouldn't even know how to do it. They did offer general plumbing pointers along the way. This is coming from someone with no formal experience with plumbing or HVAC. However I bet like you, I had spent countless hours researching this topic and related hydronic principles A-Z.

You will have to do it on your own. Unless you somehow convinced a company out of NH or VT to come down for a week and pay for their lodging! And that's only assuming their licenses allow them to work in CT.

PM me if you need help. I probably live less than 20 minutes from you. In Colchester here.

I built my own system with storage.
I did have the owner of the plumbing and heating place design and supply whatever i didn't have.
He explained the benefits of using hemp on the threaded joints.
He layed out the plumbing on the floor of his store,by layed out he placed all the fittings in the order they would be used.Then put them all in a box.I had over 50 % of the copper fittings that i salvaged along with all the copper tubing i used.
I got back to boiler building and dumped the box's out and thought what the hell did i get into.I has never taken on a project like this.
But i did the same,layed out all the fittings till the system was built.Then it was just a matter of placing componates and plumbing in between them.
With over 200 soldered joints and over 150 threaded joints i had one leak from a recycled elbow that was soldered.
My X was bithching about the time and cost,the owner explained to her had his crew come out to do it it would have been a 50K plus job.It was less than 1/2 when i was done,the boiler was 10K on it's own.

Reactions: cumminstinkerer