control board repair service?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fibersport

Feb 7, 2018
Valparaiso, IN
Are there any source that can rebuild St. Croix control boards? It seems I have a problem with the relay on the board, it chatters when I first plug it in - I think it may be caused either because of humidity or cold. Once I get the chattering to stop by plugging and unplugging it numerous times, everything seems to run fine.

Since no one else chimed in, only thing I can think of if you are sure it's the relay, not the power feeding it, maybe get a number off it and have an electronics person replace it. Or if a cover comes off it maybe gently file the contacts if burnt... good luck. Not many people out there repairing pellet stove control, boards..

My first suspect would be a bad connection somewhere.

With the stove disconnected from power, try removing and reinstalling the connectors on the board. You may have a bad connection.

Some St. Croix stoves had mentioned in their manuals that the connectors were a bit flaky. They suggest a close visual inspection of each pin of each connector to make sure it hadn't moved out of place.

Hopefully your problem is that easy to resolve. I doubt that a bad relay would chatter like that, it's probably not getting proper voltage. But strange things do happen...

Reactions: Ssyko
The problem seems to show up with high humidity which might indicate bad connections but I already unplugged and plugged them in to clean them. I'm pretty sure it's the relay for the combustion air blower actually starts to turn very slowly, as if it's getting low voltage. I'll have an electronic tech friend take a look at it.

You can buy a new board for $199 including the face label and freight. Looks like they charge flat fee of $150 plus shipping. I would go with the new board

Reactions: zinger827 and Ssyko
You can buy a new board for $199 including the face label and freight. Looks like they charge flat fee of $150 plus shipping. I would go with the new board

Ditto

It looks like that board isn't for the SCF 050, most of those are running $250 - $300.
Got it. I missed the scf 050 in your signature

Now you have me thinking, just what is the difference? Mine doesn't have any ignition but I wonder if it could still be used just without an igniter, might also need to jumper out some other sensor as well but I bet if they were no longer available someone could make one work.