Convection Blower does not work.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steggyD

Feb 9, 2014
Catskills, NY
Hello, new here at posting, but have used the previous threads for some troubleshooting.

Here's the situation. I have a Quadra Fire Castile Insert, older model, has the white control box, not the opaque one. Came with the house, but I'll assume it's about 10 years old.

I cleaned it out completely, I took it apart, used canned air, vacuums, etc. But the convection blower does not come on at all. I have another Quadra Fire in the house, different model, but the convection blower has similar plugs and all, so I took it out of the other stove, plugged it into the Castile, and that one doesn't work in the Castile either. So I put that blower back in the other stove, and it works there. So, somehow the stove is not sending power to the blower, at least that's my conclusion. But all the wires just go back to the metal box full of wires, which seems impossible to open without destroying it, and then the control box plugs into that. So I tend to think the problem lies in either of those two parts. The control box on the other stove is different, so I can't swap that out for troubleshooting. None of the switch plates are popped, I've already reset one of those, which is where all the problems began.

Initially, the auger motor wasn't working, and I found that the switch plate #2 (I think) was popped, I reset that and that's when I thought all was well until the convection blower decided not to work anymore. I took it out again yesterday, cleaned it some more, plugged it in and it worked for a few minutes. So, when I put it back in and decided to run the stove one more time, it did not work. What the #@(*&?

Anyway, long story short, motor is not getting power. Why not? I'm spending thousands in oil while the stove sits there not working.

Is the convection fan controlled by a snap disc? Replace if it does... If not, does it have the drop tube thermocouple like the Mt. Vernon? (Couldn't find the manual on-line) I would replace that and check your connects the best you can...

It is a snap disc. I jumped it and it works. Is it safe to jump the snap disc while I wait for a new one? Why does this snap disc not have a reset button like the other two?

Never mind, I get the whole thing now. It reads the temperature, then tells the convection blower to turn on. Jumping it just leaves it on forever.

Glad you found the issue and a whole lot cheaper than a new blower;) Get the new one ordered!

Do you have the stove on a surge protector and have a CO monitor? Protect your stove and your family....

If you're hanging around, we like pics! Welcome to the forum:):)

Actually, I was reading about the particular snap disc #1, and how it may not be getting a good reading. So, I cleaned the back of the disc off, and the stove where it was connected, screwed the disc in really tight, and now it's working. At least for now it is. But if it stops, I know where the problem is. Maybe I'll still order one, just in case.

Yes, my stove is on a surge protector, but no monitor. Almost every electronic in my house is on a surge protector. The problems began when someone in the house wanted to set the thermostat above 75 when it was sub 0 outside here in upstate NY. The stove ran too hot and tripped snap disc #2. I try to keep the temp between 65 and 70, just to be cheap, besides, I like a little cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.