Convection Fan Snap Disc Switch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

StockHR

Jul 12, 2019
Vermont
My Quadrafire has a convection fan snap disc set at 120-20. It works fine but I'm wondering about replacing it with the type you can dial in a the temp. The reason being that when the stove turns off the blower continues to blow to a point where it is blowing cool air before it shuts off. I would like to get one where the blower comes on at 100 degrees and off when it falls below 100 degrees. Ant thoughts?

Snap disks come in many temp ranges. 100 degrees is a bit cool for turning on. It risks the blower short cycling on and off on warm up. Maybe get a 120-10 switch or a 130-20?

The first number is the switch on temp, the second is the differential for switching off. So a 120-10 would make contact when the switch is at 120º and shut off at 110º. With the current 120-20 switch the blower should be blowing out 100º before shutting off. If so, it may feel cool blowing over the skin, but it should still be well above room temp (I hope!). Note that these are not precision switches so the actual temp can be plus or minus 5º.

I just looked up some 15 amp switches and it looks one that closes at 125º and opens at 105º would work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ssyko
We used to have complaints on the quad 1200i room blower taking too long to kick on, so we moved the switch. Some people still complained so we put a lower temp switch on them. Now they complain that it runs too long...

We used to have complaints on the quad 1200i room blower taking too long to kick on, so we moved the switch. Some people still complained so we put a lower temp switch on them. Now they complain that it runs too long...
Ain't it always the way. When they came out with the AE, it was the quietest stove on the market. But people complained they had to turn their tv's up ???? So Quad changed things(for the worse) so you have a quiet and normal fan mode, which means to hit high fan, you have to really be cooking. kap

By the way kap, have you ever found a good source for the E2 & Trekker Hall effect sensors? Hht won’t sell them to us unless you buy the blower.