Quad 1200i Convection Blower Won't Run

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

js312

Jan 24, 2016
Western MA
A few days ago I came home and noticed my Quadrafire 1200i's convection fan wasn't running, but the stove was on (I keep it on low all the time and don't have it go on and off with the thermostat). It seemed to be burning normally - lively white/yellow flame. So, I shut it down, jumped the purple wires going to the snap disc, and the convection blower then ran just fine. I figured I just needed a new snap disc so I ordered one and ran the stove with the wires jumped for a few days.

Today I swapped the snap disc with the new one and the behavior is the same. So, I tested both - I heard a click when I heated them up with a lighter, and another once they cooled back down. I put a multimeter on them and got continuity when they're hot/not when they're cool. So, it seems both are working properly. If anything, the old one trips with less heat than the new one. It's as if the space near the snap disc isn't getting hot enough to trip it, but the stove itself is plenty hot. I looked behind the disc with it out and it looked pretty clean, so I don't see anything that could be "insulating" it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I did two things and it's currently working, so I'm not sure which made a difference:

1) I read that having the screws too tight on the snap disc can cause it to not function, so I reinstalled it with them just snug.
2) Though I didn't see any dust or ash behind it, I held the vacuum cleaner up to the hole where the snap disc installs.

The convection fan not turning on sometimes means the snap disk is not getting hot enough to trigger the fan to turn on. I have the same stove and it happened to me before as well. I had to clean the area behind the left baffle near the snap disk with a tube brush. That is one spot the regular cleaning does not reach. Ash builds up on the wall causing the heat to not reach the snap disk to allow the proper trigger.

Reactions: js312
The convection fan not turning on sometimes means the snap disk is not getting hot enough to trigger the fan to turn on. I have the same stove and it happened to me before as well. I had to clean the area behind the left baffle near the snap disk with a tube brush. That is one spot the regular cleaning does not reach. Ash builds up on the wall causing the heat to not reach the snap disk to allow the proper trigger.
That makes sense, thanks! Right now it's running properly, but next time I shut it down I'll clean out that area.