convection jammed error code mt. vernon ae

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KMM

Sep 28, 2019
My Mt. Vernon ae is eight years old, and until now I have been able to fix every problem. My stove will run normally for a cycle or two--igniting and heating up to thermostat setting and shutting down. Then it will ignite and shut down with convection jammed error code. I can then unplug it, re-plug it, and the error code goes away and the stove fires up. I replaced the convection blower but it's still doing the same thing. I'm stumped. If the snap disc were bad, wouldn't the stove not fire up at all? Sure would appreciate any helpful feedback.

I’d make sure you don’t have a bad connection at the convection blower or where it plugs into the board and if that doesn’t fix it then I’d say a bad ring thermocouple or its connection.

Reactions: kappel15
Appreciate that. Is that the drop tube thermocouple? One thing I failed to mention is that I'm also occasionally getting the min fire pot temp error code; however, the stove always has plenty of pellets when it throws that code. Could that point to the thermocouple? Obviously, there are more reasons for that error code, but I can't find them.

Definitely double check the connections on your thermocouples. Is the convection blower running when it throws that code? Usually if you have a short or if you disconnect the ring mount (drop tube) thermos it will turn the blower on high and throw that code.

Reactions: kappel15
Because the stove so far has only come on in the wee hours of night on a few cooler nights, I haven't directly observed when it is throwing the error codes. We have a big change to the cold in the upcoming weather--lows around 30, highs around 50-- and I'll note all the particulars. I did adjust the flame height, emptied the old pellets and replaced with fresh, and vacuumed behind the combustion blower. A couple nights back the stove did cycle without throwing a code. I really have no choice but to try my best to fix any issues myself because service options are not good. If you can find someone, they aren't " credentialed", and you'll wait weeks before they can get out.

Where are you located?

We live in New Hampshire. So night before last I woke to the error code conv blower jammed. Unplugged and plugged, and it has run fine since. Started and restarted fine throughout the night( 29 degree low).The drop tube thermocouple connections seem okay. I hand-tightened the wing nut on the drop-tube end; it doesn't seem to have loosened any. The board-end connection seems okay. I did disconnect that board-end connection and got a bad thermocouple error code. I re-connected it and hit retry and stove went back to ready status. Could this have anything to do with flame height? Why does it have negative flame-height settings? We've decided to buy a backup stove because I'll never have faith now that this stove won't crap out in the middle of winter. We did get six years of pretty much flawless performance from it, so I certainly can't call it a piece of crap. Servicing it, though, seems pretty nuanced.

The stove has + and - flame height settings. This is the feed rate. You can try sanding the area the wing nut is on as sometimes a little corrosion will weaken the signal. If it lpersists, the drop tube thermocouple could be going bad. The drop tube thermocouple runs the conv. fan. kap

The stove has + and - flame height settings. This is the feed rate. You can try sanding the area the wing nut is on as sometimes a little corrosion will weaken the signal. If it lpersists, the drop tube thermocouple could be going bad. The drop tube thermocouple runs the conv. fan. kap
Thanks. I did take a pair of plyers and tighten that wing nut more. It's going on three days now, and so far so good. It's cycled probably thirty or forty times without error. Granted, when it really gets cold, it will cycle probably fifty times a day, but I'm feeling better about things now. I mean this stove performed flawlessly for six New Hampshire winters. That ain't bad.

Glad it is doing its job. I would refresh your memory on stove functions, and read the manual a few times before winter hits. Might save you a few cold mornings. kap

Good advise.
This could drive a man crazy. First, there are no qualified service people in this area. The people that do service pellet stoves in general are busy with installs. Two-month-plus wait for anyone to get out to help. So I'm on my own. This conv blower error keeps coming on. I replaced the thermocouple. Still error code. I pulled and replaced blower harness. No go. The old harness WAS BURNT on one of the three connection ends, so I was hopeful I'd found the problem. Two things: the blower connection end on the control board has a burnt look to it where the burnt harness connected. Would that compromise the control board? Also, the pin connecters on the control board are fat at the bottom, and it doesn't seem to me that the thermocouple really sits tight. Why in the hell are they fat on the bottom. Every other connection on the motherboard connects tight, except the thermocouple. I did inadvertently bend those pins a little bit trying to slip the thermocouple on, but I straightened them with a pair of needle-nose plyers. and I have the thermocouple attached. Should I get another board? I'm afraid to keep sinking money into this, given I'm no tech. Does the board just lift up and out? Lastly, I replaced the convection blower; it now only has maybe 100 hours of use. I think its unlikely that that is the problem. Stove ignites, goes through soft start low to medium; then the blower doesn't come on, stove shuts down and the error code displays.

Are you sure you put the harness's in their correct place, and in the correct position after the days of running good? Did you sand the are that 0 ring fastens to? And it is anybodies guess if the burnt wire harness toasted the board, as it ran for a while after you replaced things, if I read your report right. kap