Conversion from Heatilator ND3630 I to Napoleon GX70NTE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GreggJ22

Dec 14, 2019
Warwick,RI
I picked up a barely used Napoleon Natural Gas Insert to replace my Heatilator with dismal output. Same dimensions and I thought it would be a quick switch. The current chimney pipe is DVP and the old unit exhausts out the back. The new Napoleon exhausts out the top. I need to mate the Napoleon which has a 5 inch opening and a 8 inch outer ring. Was going to connect it and run a 90 to a shorter length of DVP. Was told at the store shop that the vent pipe is DVP and not DVA? Is there a way connect the new stove to the existing chimney pipe as it is in real good shape? What are my options short of ripping out the old chimney? Thanks in advance.

I picked up a barely used Napoleon Natural Gas Insert to replace my Heatilator with dismal output. Same dimensions and I thought it would be a quick switch. The current chimney pipe is DVP and the old unit exhausts out the back. The new Napoleon exhausts out the top. I need to mate the Napoleon which has a 5 inch opening and a 8 inch outer ring. Was going to connect it and run a 90 to a shorter length of DVP. Was told at the store shop that the vent pipe is DVP and not DVA? Is there a way connect the new stove to the existing chimney pipe as it is in real good shape? What are my options short of ripping out the old chimney? Thanks in advance.

DVP is for HHT brand fireplaces, its different from DVA dont mix pipes. You should only vent pipe the manufacturer recommends and the and the specified configurations. Do you have the install manual?

DVP is for HHT brand fireplaces, its different from DVA dont mix pipes. You should only vent pipe the manufacturer recommends and the and the specified configurations. Do you have the install manual?
I do have manual and attempting to decipher my options as this is the first gas fireplace with manufactured venting that I have looked at. First assumption was that they were universal like most pellet stove venting. Manual lists the 5 “/ 8” Duravent W175-0170 or Direct Temp 5DT-aa or SuperSeal 5DDA. Looking to do more research on sourcing options now that I need to replace the one story old vent DVP.

I do have manual and attempting to decipher my options as this is the first gas fireplace with manufactured venting that I have looked at. First assumption was that they were universal like most pellet stove venting. Manual lists the 5 “/ 8” Duravent W175-0170 or Direct Temp 5DT-aa or SuperSeal 5DDA. Looking to do more research on sourcing options now that I need to replace the one story old vent DVP.
Duravent is DVA pipe, for your size parts will be 58DVA-???. Venting is somewhat universal but you can mix brands. What is the vent run youre trying to acheive?

Duravent is DVA pipe, for your size parts will be 58DVA-???. Venting is somewhat universal but you can mix brands. What is the vent run youre trying to acheive?

I plan to have a 12 foot run to replace the old pipe. Out the top of stove so I will need the adapter to stove, then run a 90 degree bend back, another 90 or so bend up and then approximately 10 feet vertical. I think I will need a 10 footer and 5 footer flexible 5 / 8 pipe, an adapter at stove, a 5 /8 union and something at roof line. Going to see if the current roof assembly could be reused for routing flexible pipe thru and then a cap.