Convert Heatform box to masonry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jvmarino

Oct 7, 2019
Baltimore, MD
I have been doing lots of research and found lots of similar topics, but thought I would also ask about my specific topic.

I have a house built in the 1980's that has a Heatform box for the main fireplace. The previous owner had already decommissioned the fan system and covered up the inlet/outlet openings in the masonry face of the fireplace. Our home renovation involved refacing the chimney inside the house. After a full season of using the fireplace last winter, it was obvious that the hollow shell of the Heatform prevents much heat from coming into the living room. I know that fireplaces are not efficient for home heating, but having grown up in houses with wood burning fireplaces, I know that it can still get quite warm in the area near the fireplace and warm that room up. For my current home, there is very little heat coming off the fireplace. I feel that without a solid masonry firebox, there is nothing to absorb and radiate the heat out into the room.

My eventual plan is to cut out the inside wall of the Heatform box and have a mason rebuild the firebox with firebrick masonry. Not sure how he would tie the new brick into the upper portion of the metal firebox. From what I read, the chimney should not be supported by the Heatform, but I have not confirmed this. I initially thought that maybe the inner metal wall could have holes drilled up high, and then fill the cavity with some kind of grout/mortar, but no one seems to have tried this before, so I don't know if it creates other problems.

Does anyone have experience in doing a conversion like this to a Heatform fireplace?

I have been doing lots of research and found lots of similar topics, but thought I would also ask about my specific topic.

I have a house built in the 1980's that has a Heatform box for the main fireplace. The previous owner had already decommissioned the fan system and covered up the inlet/outlet openings in the masonry face of the fireplace. Our home renovation involved refacing the chimney inside the house. After a full season of using the fireplace last winter, it was obvious that the hollow shell of the Heatform prevents much heat from coming into the living room. I know that fireplaces are not efficient for home heating, but having grown up in houses with wood burning fireplaces, I know that it can still get quite warm in the area near the fireplace and warm that room up. For my current home, there is very little heat coming off the fireplace. I feel that without a solid masonry firebox, there is nothing to absorb and radiate the heat out into the room.

My eventual plan is to cut out the inside wall of the Heatform box and have a mason rebuild the firebox with firebrick masonry. Not sure how he would tie the new brick into the upper portion of the metal firebox. From what I read, the chimney should not be supported by the Heatform, but I have not confirmed this. I initially thought that maybe the inner metal wall could have holes drilled up high, and then fill the cavity with some kind of grout/mortar, but no one seems to have tried this before, so I don't know if it creates other problems.

Does anyone have experience in doing a conversion like this to a Heatform fireplace?
To do this you completely remove all of the metal firebox and smoke chamber. Then rebuild from scratch. It is allot of money to spend on something that still may only break even as far as heat output.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to have a lot more heat and burn a lot less wood, put in a good quality EPA insert. It will be less work and can save some bucks.