Convert PC45 into P61

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Holstein_Dude

Oct 12, 2019
Wisconsin
Hi everyone, my CB went out on my pc45 and since I only burn pellets with it, I was thinking about converting it to a p61 CB. Has anyone done this? The stove body is the same and I think it will work, just not sure if I need a P61 or P61A CB? Also does the CB come with the metal piece that shows what all knobs do?
My main goal here is to push more BTUs out, this would be a much cheaper option than going and buying a new stove.

Thanks

Hi everyone, my CB went out on my pc45 and since I only burn pellets with it, I was thinking about converting it to a p61 CB. Has anyone done this? The stove body is the same and I think it will work, just not sure if I need a P61 or P61A CB? Also does the CB come with the metal piece that shows what all knobs do?
My main goal here is to push more BTUs out, this would be a much cheaper option than going and buying a new stove.

Thanks
Hi Dairy guy,

Are you already burning 3 bags of pellets per day? If not, you're probably not reaching your current stove's maximum capacity.

YMMV,

Hugh

Hi Dairy guy,

Are you already burning 3 bags of pellets per day? If not, you're probably not reaching your current stove's maximum capacity.

YMMV,

Hugh
Burning pretty close to that if not more on cold days. And it’s more of the fact that the cb went out and we have been talking about going to a p61 anyways. Thought was it would be cheaper to swap out the parts that are different and then I would have a “p61”

Burning pretty close to that if not more on cold days. And it’s more of the fact that the cb went out and we have been talking about going to a p61 anyways. Thought was it would be cheaper to swap out the parts that are different and then I would have a “p61”
My concern is that the heat exchange area of the P61 is larger and may not take full advantage of the BTUs released by the larger burnpot i.e. hotter exhaust might well be wasting more heat than usual. There is was a recent thread regarding converting a P38 to P61. That might well be a good resource. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/p43-experiment.190877/#post-2564361

Hugh

Thanks
You need the 05886 board. (for auto ignition) You dont need a new circuit board plate. The only difference would be the feed knob labeling says corn 1-4 then pellets after that. New board is same physical configuration as Pc45 board