Converting a fireplace with a double stack chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken45

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2008
southern Ohio
We are considering a fireplace insert to go into an existing large stone fireplace. The existing chimney is DOUBLE 12x12 clay lined. I have already blocked it off with a piece of sheet metal below the damper (we have gas logs in there now).

The plan is to run 6" flex stainless pipe through the blocking plate and up one stack, capping off the other stack at the top. Are the any special watchouts since we have a second stack out of the same firebox?

I've was reading some of the forum here last night about lightweight cement sealing and have considered pouring some of that down until it covers the other stack and then filling the middle with perlight and probably some more cement at the top.

Thoughts? Warnings?

What we would put in the fireplace isn't decided yet, but the leading contenders are a PE Summit (which seems well regarded here) or a Kuma Sequoia, which has little mention here and almost no information on their website. I'm kind of leaning toward the PE since I'm not convinced I want a cat unit but the Kuma dealer seems better than the PE dealer.

Thanks,

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.