Converting a Shop Vac to an Ash Vac...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to use a shop vac with a sheetrock filter.

I had to wait an hour or so more than withe the Ash vac I just got from FleetFarm ash shown on this thread.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/ash-vacuum-great-price-just-bought-one.116536/

Now I can rush it and not worry about a fire, when it gets real cold.

I beleve my ash vac has better sucktion..
I says 10 Amp moter and Im pretty sure my 32 dollar shop vac is about 6 amps

Does everyone here just use a shop vac, not an ash vac? Is the only difference the ash vac is metal? I started using my shop vac because I had to order the ash vac and had to wait for it to arrive. Now I'm thinking I should just save the $80, return the ash vac, and just use my shop vac. So far I've hardly ever had any ashes, so anything I vacuum up will be easy to make sure it completely cool before I do. Plus I imagine the shop vac I more powerful anyway, and probably does a better job.

Jjk, I was just coming back to this thread to make a confession: I just ordered a Powersmith Ash Vacuum from Mill Fleet Farm.

We used the Shop Vac when we first installed the pellet stove. In terms of cleaning the pellet stove, there's nothing better, IMHO, if you have a good filter and drywall filter bags. A Shop Vac with a clean filter has great suction.

I asked for a warm ash vacuum for Christmas a couple of years ago, though, for a couple of reasons. Our Napoleon is one of those pellet stoves whose burn pot really likes to be clean; if pellets are the least bit ashy, the Napoleon will make a clinker in a day. The burn pot is round and deep and it has a tendency to collect ash (and make clinkers) even with the best pellets. I find myself shutting down the pellet stove to empty the burn pot more days than not.

If I'm going to shut down the stove to empty the burn pot, I might as well clean it while it's down.

Typically we shut the stove down for several hours to clean it, in order to make absolutely sure that we are not sucking an ember up into the Shop Vac. During the shoulder seasons, that's not an issue- we shut the stove off during the warmest part of the day, and often overnight as well or the house gets too warm for comfortable sleeping.

During the coldest part of the year, and during especially cold winters, I begrudge the hours that we spend with the stove sitting idle while we wait for several hours to make sure that it's safe to use the Shop Vac. Acquiring a warm ash vac meant that we could let the stove cool to the point where we could handle it comfortably, innards, burn pot and all, with bare hands, and that *should* be cool enough to safely use a warm ash vacuum.

And it should have worked out OK, but our first try at a warm ash vacuum was less than satisfactory. We purchased a less expensive ash vac. Less expensive, in this case, was relative- it was still over $100 =(. We were never happy with its performance and I wish we'd taken it back. Even though we could suck up warm ashes it never cleaned the stove as well as the Shop Vac. Bonus round, it required expensive (think about $17 each) and frequent HEPA filter replacements, despite the "pellet stove ash sleeve" that was used to "protect" the filter. I stretched those HEPA filters out by washing them weekly and letting them dry- but when the HEPA filter failed, the vacuum let us know we were done by belching soot out of the exhaust into the house.

After a particularly bad soot-belching incident I was DONE. We got rid of that ash vacuum and went back to the Shop Vac, and back to waiting several hours to safely clean the stove.

Per above, with the Napoleon's deep burn pot, that's not optimal. I've been looking out for an alternative, off and on, since last season, and when someone here started a thread about the Powersmith Ash Vacuum it caught my attention. I waffled about it just long enough to miss the initial sale but I just bought one at a pretty good price with free shipping using a free shipping code.

All that being said- we'll still use the Shop Vac. Our Shop Vac has a long hose that reaches all the way up into the stove from the direct vent outside- so I know we'll use it in that capacity. Depending on the suction of the new Powersmith, we could very well use the Shop Vac for the Big Cleans a couple of times a year, if the Shop Vac has more suction.

So don't fret your ash vac purchase- it will pay for itself over time when your pellet stove shut down is minimal during the cold season. Plus, there's a lot to be said for the peace of mind of using an ash vac as opposed to a Shop Vac. Trust me, I *knew it* on those occasions when I felt like perhaps I'd pushed it in terms of letting the stove sit cold for several hours. I may have shaved a few minutes off of my "safe stove" threshold, and I paid for it with anxiety, so I stopped doing that. :)

EDIT
I could have just said, yeah, what rayttt said^^. And he does make a good point- the Powersmith has a 10 amp motor. I'm not at the house right now so I can't go look, but I'm pretty sure that our Shop Vac is a 6 gallon with an 8 amp motor. We don't yet have the Powersmith so I don't know how the suction will compare, but anything at all is better than the first ash vacuum we owned. =/ I'm excited to get a decent ash vac, though. :)

Last edited:
Jjk, I was just coming back to this thread to make a confession: I just ordered a Powersmith Ash Vacuum from Mill Fleet Farm.

:)

I hope it meets your needs.
Just be prepared for a short hose.

And be prepared for a nice washable/reusable filter that is gonna save you a fortune in Shop Vac filters. >>

We have that expensive, washable but reusable HEPA filter in the Shop Vac, and it's still going strong after a couple of seasons of use. We'll still use the Shop Vac to vacuum out the direct vent.

Given the way I clean our stove, I don't know if the short hose is going to bother me all that much. For some reason it seems like I'm always in that stove up to my waist anyway. FULL CONTACT STOVE CLEANING! YEAH!

Raytt, after our experience with that first ash vac (which, IIRC, didn't have a long hose either) anything would be GREAT. Anything at all. =/

Thanks for the info. I have the Shop Vac brand ash vac. I'll have to check the amps before I open it, I want a good one.

Last edited:
Honestly I think those ash vacs are kind of a gimmick...

I'll have to get more info from the box. I'm at work now. But ingot it from menards, had to order it because the one they carried in store seemed like junk.

http://www.menards.com/main/mobile/...ums/shop-vac-ash-vacuum/p-1919581-c-10092.htm

It appears to be the same model as shown in the shopvac.com link I posted above. Below the picture of the vacuum and also under the "Performance" tab in the description it lists 6.3 amps.

Here is an Amazon listing with reviews of the same product. Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the full product write up, and click on "reviews" to read the reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Vac-4041100-Ash-Vacuum/dp/B00A7PO0FO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

At least one of Amazon.com reviews states that the filter clogs up quickly- I guess this would be the same phenomenon that others earlier in this thread were complaining about with using regular (non-ash) Shop Vacs with pellet stove ash. Without the "pre-filter" of the drywall bag, the pellet stove ash apparently clogs up the Clearstream HEPA filter quickly. The "triple mesh filter" that comes with this Shop Vac probably won't stop fine pellet stove ash.

It doesn't appear from what I can see that you can use Shop Vac bags, drywall or not, in the ash vac. From where I sit, this looks like a set up for the same HEPA filter vs. pellet stove ash clogging complaints without the option of using drywall filter bags to prevent the clogging.

The Clearstream HEPA filter is the same filter that we use in our regular Shop Vac, which we are currently using to clean our pellet stove. We also use a drywall bag, and that is, apparently, keeping the pellet ash from clogging up our filter. The Clearstream HEPA filter is very easy to rinse out, however, I will say that.

The same reviewer noted that standard Shop Vac attachments won't fit on this Shop Vac ash vac- that would really annoy me. I use my Shop Vac attachments, namely the crevice tool and the brush, to clean the pellet stove routinely.

Not trying to shoot holes in your purchase, but trying to point out things that wouldn't work for me, given our experience with using both a Shop Vac and a not so great ash vacuum. The only reason I'm switching from the Shop Vac to the Powersmith ash vacuum is to shorten the time that our stove is down and cooling before I can clean it. Perhaps you can benefit from our experiments!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on the Shop Vac. I think I'm going to return it and stick with my actual Shop Vac, it works great and I've already got it with all the attachments. Plus unless I'm doing something wrong, but my Quadrafire has not been making much ash and I don't think I'll have too much extra cleaning to do.

Thank you all for the opinions and information! I was gone for the weekend and planned on buying some of the filters. But then I realized that, since I was traveling in RI, and there are Benny's stores around, I bought one of those $70 PowerSmith ash vacuums that was discussed in this thread: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/ash-vacuum-great-price-just-bought-one.116536/#post-1563898. I haven't even opened the box, but if it works decently I think it might be a better option than to keep replacing bags at $10 each.

And, I lied. I posted that I had three shop vacs, but I forgot about a wall-mounted one I bought last year to dedicate to my miter saw (on an automatic switch). So now with the new one, I have five vacs in my workshop. Plus, the big Jet Dust Collector. Holy crap! :)

Reactions: becasunshine
Thank you all for the opinions and information! I was gone for the weekend and planned on buying some of the filters. But then I realized that, since I was traveling in RI, and there are Benny's stores around, I bought one of those $70 PowerSmith ash vacuums that was discussed in this thread: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/ash-vacuum-great-price-just-bought-one.116536/#post-1563898. I haven't even opened the box, but if it works decently I think it might be a better option than to keep replacing bags at $10 each.

And, I lied. I posted that I had three shop vacs, but I forgot about a wall-mounted one I bought last year to dedicate to my miter saw (on an automatic switch). So now with the new one, I have five vacs in my workshop. Plus, the big Jet Dust Collector. Holy crap! :)

Dude, I have a mighty collection of vacuum cleaners too. One can never be too rich, have too many pellets or too many vacuum cleaners! :)

Also, Mark, you are north of us in New Hampshire. I'm gonna bet that in a month or so, you'll appreciate the abbreviated downtime for stove cleaning that a warm ash vacuum permits, as opposed to a Shop Vac. :)

Thanks for the info on the Shop Vac. I think I'm going to return it and stick with my actual Shop Vac, it works great and I've already got it with all the attachments. Plus unless I'm doing something wrong, but my Quadrafire has not been making much ash and I don't think I'll have too much extra cleaning to do.

Well, Menards wants to charge me $20(25%) to restock a "special order" because it's an online purchase. Even though it's unopened. I am contacting there online support, but I not going to pay them $20 to return an unopened item, so I may be finding out if the Shop Vac Ash Vac is any good after all.

Well, Menards wants to charge me $20(25%) to restock a "special order" because it's an online purchase. Even though it's unopened. I am contacting there online support, but I not going to pay them $20 to return an unopened item, so I may be finding out if the Shop Vac Ash Vac is any good after all.

jjk454ss, I'm sorry about the restocking fee. =(

Over a lifetime of burning, I've never needed to use a vac. Shovel and pail works for me.

That said however, I had an idea to use a vac that both sucks and blows. Put the pipe that blows up the flue so any dust that gets through the filter goes up the flue, so long as you don't have a downdraft problem.

jjk454ss, I'm sorry about the restocking fee. =(

The employee told me I agreed to this when I placed the order, but I just went to menards.com and placed the order again(except the payment part), and didn't see anything about a 25% restocking fee. I'll see what the online support says tomorrow and go from there.

Reactions: becasunshine
Over a lifetime of burning, I've never needed to use a vac. Shovel and pail works for me.

That said however, I had an idea to use a vac that both sucks and blows. Put the pipe that blows up the flue so any dust that gets through the filter goes up the flue, so long as you don't have a downdraft problem.

That what I do, I have the 20 gal 6.5hp shop vac.

Vac out the stove when needed, and switch the hose around to blow out the vent after I hit it with the brush

I use a 15 gallon Lowes shopvac with a bag filter and hepa filter.

My bag filter didn't get full but I changed it for the new year. Hepa looked fine.

Awesome suction.

Reactions: dmmoss51
Does everyone here just use a shop vac, not an ash vac? Is the only difference the ash vac is metal? I started using my shop vac because I had to order the ash vac and had to wait for it to arrive. Now I'm thinking I should just save the $80, return the ash vac, and just use my shop vac. So far I've hardly ever had any ashes, so anything I vacuum up will be easy to make sure it completely cool before I do. Plus I imagine the shop vac I more powerful anyway, and probably does a better job.
I know this reply is late lol but I have a post about useing a heavy white sock,[yes, foot sock] attached to the EXHAUST end of your vac with a radiator hose clamp. Absolutley No Dust at all.. using a cheap home depot 2 gallon wet/dry shop vac..with the paper filter inside of course.. not sure if that matters with the sock on the end but I put it on anyways.

A hepa filter / bag filter / regular shop vac will filter out a certain % of debris. Socking your exhaust would ideally just lower your suction. The filter you see on the exhaust is more of a muffler / air disperser.

How often do you change your socks? =)

A hepa filter / bag filter / regular shop vac will filter out a certain % of debris. Socking your exhaust would ideally just lower your suction. The filter you see on the exhaust is more of a muffler / air disperser.

How often do you change your socks? =)
I do not notice any suction loss... doesn't take a lot to suck up pellet ash...
as far as changing sock, only have cleaned the stove 3 x's so far.. newbie Harman owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.