Converting a two sided fireplace to one sided

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

macjazzy

Nov 18, 2008
maryland
I recently moved into a ranch style house with a large two sided fireplace. It has a huge brick hearth and large firebox. I was very excited at first til I found out, no matter how big a fire or how long it burned, no heat at all into the house.

I have read up enough to know that it will never produce heat nor does there seem to be any inserts available.

So the next thing I am thinking is bricking up one side. Possibly with some sort of clear firebrick (if that is a real thing) or some other decorative brick something or other. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Anyway will this work to make this fireplace produce heat into the room? Is it feasible to just brick up one side or am I missing something?

Thanks

The best way to get the fireplace to produce heat is to either put an insert or freestanding stove in it (assuming it will fit). For the side you don't want to view the fire maybe put some sort of grille that hides the backside of the insert, yet lets heat radiate from it through the grille. This could be expanded or perforated metal for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.