Converting a wood stove to a fireplace just for looks.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Amanion

Jan 16, 2022
Bethlehem, ga
We live in a house that use to have a wood burning stove. House was built in 2000. So its not new or old.

Stove was removed before we moved in, the flue (spelling) capped off.

I would like to remove the tile on the wall and the flue and bring the look of the fireplace back.

I do not want to build a fire, just want the look of the fireplace. What would i need to block off? Or do they make some sort of insert to look like it could be used, but block off the chimney part?

Maybe post a picture? I think, given what you're describing, that you could add a block of rigid insulation in the flue above the firebox opening, so that it couldn't be easily seen from the room (I'm picturing a fireplace opening that has been tiled closed to be mostly flush with the wall, where you want to remove the tile). That said, you might be in for some surprises when you remove the tile - hard to say what condition the firebox might be in at this point (maybe you'll get lucky and the flue opening has already been sealed, and the tile is just decorative rather than functional).

A roll of rockwool or fiberglass insulation will easily plug the hole itself and maintain the heat in and cold out.