Converting double sided wood burning fireplace with gas starter to gas stove question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohowie

Feb 18, 2021
Dallas, TX
Hi there!

We moved into our current home a year ago. We have a double sided wood burning fireplace we've never used as I'm sensitive to wood smoke (moderate asthma). We do have a gas line already run to it that we were told is a gas starter. Our home inspector said it was sound and functioning.

How easy would it be to convert it to a gas fireplace? Is Direct Vent a possibility? Meaning are there inserts available for existing double sided fireplaces? Or is there something we can have custom made? Or are we stuck with a less efficient vented log setup?

I've attached a photo of the fireplace so everyone can see what we're working with.

IMG_20210218_184334968.jpg

There are NO inserts for double-sided fireplaces, per se, but
I have installed back-to-back inserts in a double-sided fireplace.
It's twice as much money, but each is independent from the other.
It allows for heat in the room where the fireplace opening is.
The other option is to seal off one side & put an insert in the other.

There are NO inserts for double-sided fireplaces, per se, but
I have installed back-to-back inserts in a double-sided fireplace.
It's twice as much money, but each is independent from the other.
It allows for heat in the room where the fireplace opening is.
The other option is to seal off one side & put an insert in the other.

Thank you!! I think the two sided idea is what we're going to go with!

Reactions: DAKSY
There are gas logsets available for double sided fireplaces. But that's a whole different type of appliance.

Instead of a sealed insert. A gas logset is a burner with sand and embers over the burner, with a logset on a grate. Glass doors that open would go on your fireplace openings. Picture what you would see in a ski lodge, but on both sides. More decorative, but less efficient.