Converting To Gas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chrispee

Sep 6, 2022
Edmonton, AB
Good day

So i have this wood burning hearth in the house i just bought. After inspection it doesn't have the proper clearances in the front so would need retiling. Also my chimney needs to be extended but it is super difficult to find the type of chimney to use to extend this thing.

Was poking around and though that i could flip it over to natural gas.

Would that be a good idea? I had a question about venting as well.

Can i use the existing chimney to vent?
You can see the bend in my stove pipe, can venting in a gas hearth accommodate this bend or does it have to go straight up?

Photo of the unit.

I was going to go to a shop and ask but thought maybe you folks could help.

Apricate any advice.

Good day

So i have this wood burning hearth in the house i just bought. After inspection it doesn't have the proper clearances in the front so would need retiling. Also my chimney needs to be extended but it is super difficult to find the type of chimney to use to extend this thing.

Was poking around and though that i could flip it over to natural gas.

Would that be a good idea? I had a question about venting as well.

Can i use the existing chimney to vent?
You can see the bend in my stove pipe, can venting in a gas hearth accommodate this bend or does it have to go straight up?

Photo of the unit.

I was going to go to a shop and ask but thought maybe you folks could help.

Apricate any advice.

HeatnGlo used to sell freestanding gas stoves that could be vented into a Class A chimney by using an adapter to go from co-axial to co-linear pipe. They recently discontinued the gas stoves, but the adapter is a Duravent part and is probably still available. You would need to find a gas stove that is approved for that type of venting.

My understanding of direct venting a top exit gas stove is that the first pipe coming off the stove needs to be a vertical run of no less than 24 inches. I suspect that my comment here will spark a conversation in getting you some answers from the people who are truly in the know!!!

My understanding of direct venting a top exit gas stove is that the first pipe coming off the stove needs to be a vertical run of no less than 24 inches. I suspect that my comment here will spark a conversation in getting you some answers from the people who are truly in the know!!!
The venting requirements will be specific to the respective stove. There are no universal venting requirements for direct vent appliances.