Cook in the insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr A

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2011
N. California
I just completed an experiment. I cooked a tri-tip roast in the insert. Fire had been going a few hours and was at the coal stage. I wrapped the meat in tin foil, set it in a cheap pan from the dollar store, set the air at half way, and checked it at 20 minutes. It came out tender, but well done at 180 degrees. I didn't go outside to to check if I could smell it cooking, it sure smells good coming out. Im thinkin' wood fired pizza for the next experiment.

Attachments

• Optimized-IMG_20121213_205046.jpg
    Optimized-IMG_20121213_205046.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 108
  • Optimized-IMG_20121213_205306.jpg
    Optimized-IMG_20121213_205306.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 97
  • Optimized-IMG_20121213_205514.jpg
    Optimized-IMG_20121213_205514.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 117
  • Optimized-IMG_20121213_214928.jpg
    Optimized-IMG_20121213_214928.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 105
Reactions: Ashful
I got to try something, when I was a kid I remember cooking hotdogs on a stick in my dads old wood burner.

I just completed an experiment. I cooked a tri-tip roast in the insert. Fire had been going a few hours and was at the coal stage. I wrapped the meat in tin foil, set it in a cheap pan from the dollar store, set the air at half way, and checked it at 20 minutes. It came out tender, but well done at 180 degrees. I didn't go outside to to check if I could smell it cooking, it sure smells good coming out. Im thinkin' wood fired pizza for the next experiment.

Nice, add some onions, potatoes, and carrots and you've got something. Always seems to taste better than in the oven. My Mom just gave a Dutch Oven to try some roasting/soup on the top of the stove.

Now I've got to try a pizza in my insert. Do you think the pizza stone will take the thermal shock by it being put on hot coals?

Now I've got to try a pizza in my insert. Do you think the pizza stone will take the thermal shock by it being put on hot coals?
People have noted that you have to put the stone in the stove/ insert for a few minutes first, I believe it prevents sticking.....And cornmeal is advised too....

My stoves only big enough for a personal pan pizza with sausage, pepperoni, chicken, fresh mozz and fresh basil....... WOW that sounds good! I'd love to hear how it turns out if someone does it soon.

Don't forget if you don't use the stove ash drawer for ash clean out it makes a great place to bake potatos. Wash potato, rub butter on it, wrap in aluminum foil. Now try Mr A tri-tip roast and we could have the complete meal in the wood stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.