Cook stove wall clearances and heat shields

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vt-new-fp

Feb 18, 2018
VT
I'm going to be putting a vintage wood and gas (propane) cook stove in my kitchen this summer. This is a stove that was designed to cook/heat with wood in the winter and use just gas in the summer, but also allows for operation of both fuels simultaneously when making a big meal (four burners on each side and three ovens and a boiler).

I live in an old house (built 1790) and there's a big "nook" in the kitchen that I believe once contained the original giant cooking fireplace (due to the enormous fieldstone massive block in the cellar beneath it). This is where I'd like to locate the stove. It will go through its own flue.

Imagine a U shape. The open part of the U is where you enter and is where the rest of the kitchen is flush with. one side is where the chimney is. All three sides have wood paneling (over brick on chimney side, over framing on other sides -- it's a post and beam, so no load-bearing walls in the middle).

The clearance on the sides will be about five inches, but the clearance at the back will be about 48". If I put up some heat sheild material on the side where there's paneling can I leave the exposed brick of the fireplace alone, and does the 48" clearance from back of stove to back of U good enough AND is it better to leave that open (for heat circulation) or better to close it up, for the heat to bouce of the heat shield.

Thanks!

I'm going to be putting a vintage wood and gas (propane) cook stove in my kitchen this summer. This is a stove that was designed to cook/heat with wood in the winter and use just gas in the summer, but also allows for operation of both fuels simultaneously when making a big meal (four burners on each side and three ovens and a boiler).

I live in an old house (built 1790) and there's a big "nook" in the kitchen that I believe once contained the original giant cooking fireplace (due to the enormous fieldstone massive block in the cellar beneath it). This is where I'd like to locate the stove. It will go through its own flue.

Imagine a U shape. The open part of the U is where you enter and is where the rest of the kitchen is flush with. one side is where the chimney is. All three sides have wood paneling (over brick on chimney side, over framing on other sides -- it's a post and beam, so no load-bearing walls in the middle).

The clearance on the sides will be about five inches, but the clearance at the back will be about 48". If I put up some heat sheild material on the side where there's paneling can I leave the exposed brick of the fireplace alone, and does the 48" clearance from back of stove to back of U good enough AND is it better to leave that open (for heat circulation) or better to close it up, for the heat to bouce of the heat shield.

Thanks!
It is an unlisted stove so you need 36" to combustibles. That can be reduced to 12 with a proper ventilated heat shield.