Cooking "In" a Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andre B.

Hearth Supporter
Oct 25, 2006
While building a fire I got to looking at how these stoves are built and how they work, the soapstone stoves especially. I got to wondering if anyone has used one for baking like in one of the outdoor bee hive ovens. They seem to stay reasonably clean inside once they get hot and the initial black coating burns off.
Build a small hot fast fire to get the mass up to temperature and then shovel out the remains of the fire and put the bread in and close all the air inlets. One would have to modify the stove so the air could be completely turned off but it seems like it should work once you figure out how big a fire to start with.
A non soapstone stove may work better if an extra layer of firebrick were added to the firebox to hold more heat. Maybe have to try it with a pizza some time. :)

You know, pizza would be interesting.. You could perhaps install one of these on the bottom of the stove and then start your raging fire and then perhaps cook the pizza... Or if you could install a rack system and put the clay tablet above the fire and you could have yourself a real tiny brick oven...

Go ahead and try it... you first! :)

Jay

So far just roasted garlic but I will become more adventurous as the season wears on.

Could definately put a small dutch oven in there on a bed of coals and turn the air off.
Maybe a venison stew one night this weekend?
I need to find a smaller dutch oven

Jay H said:
You know, pizza would be interesting.. You could perhaps install one of these on the bottom of the stove and then start your raging fire and then perhaps cook the pizza... Or if you could install a rack system and put the clay tablet above the fire and you could have yourself a real tiny brick oven...

Jay

An install we did a few weeks ago... his buddy fired up pizza's in the stove. He said they were awesome...

Warren said:
These look kinda cool too:

Big Green Egg

I wouldnt be burning "free" wood 24/7 if I could afford one of those.
$1000 barely gets you in the door.
They are nice though and one of the benefits is they use less charcoal/wood to cook with , a very efficient design.
I hope to get one for Christmas in the future.

Jay H said:

Jay

That's actually on my list to try... was thinking of making some kind of rack that I could set the pizza stone on, then cook over the coals...

hmmm...now you guys have me thinking... Wouldn't take much of a rack to put a pizza stone on, a good bed of coals would get the pizza stone good and hot quickly (too quickly??...possible to crack it by heating too fast just inches from a coal bed in the wood stove?) plus the firebrick over the pizza...mmmmm...or maybe a dedicated rack that had firebricks on top of it. Pizzastones really are just a big thin firebrick.

One thing we don't get much of around here if any is discussions of wood fired kitchen stove cooking. Like on one of these:
esse multifuel stove

Does anyone out there have something like that?

Warren said:
One thing we don't get much of around here if any is discussions of wood fired kitchen stove cooking. Like on one of these:
esse multifuel stove

Does anyone out there have something like that?

Warren,

I hear ya! secondary burn in the kitchen with the heat and the eats. Have been thinking about the big glenwood in my grandparents house she hasn't burned it in a long time...probably have to cut a bigger hole to get it out or dismantle. Would like to refurb it and use it..

Remembered checking that baby out the last time it came up... I know the parent company that owns Hearthstone has some real nice looking units that I think are made in Spain..not sure if available here...will see if i can dig up some info...

Steaks grilled over a hot oak fire :drools:
But there is some flooring grate that I can build one at work from, thanks for the idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.