cooking on top of inserts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kitand

Nov 6, 2016
Seattle
Wondering two basic things about inserts:
1. Are the surrounds necessary? I'm wondering if they're just for looks or if they serve an otherwise useful purpose.
2. If the surrounds are NOT necessary, then are there flat-topped models of inserts that might be good for cooking on when power is out?

From pictures it seems like some insert models might have vents right under the top that might make cooking impossible. Also some models have backs that angle down (I assume flat tops would be better). Just wondering if anyone has any actual experience successfully cooking on some specific brands/models.

My fireplace is 28"Hx30"Wx21"D. I wouldn't want the flat top of the insert to be any taller than 22" (ideally shorter) to leave clearance for fitting the pans on top. Would prefer non-catalytic and do need less than 4.5g/hr emissions. Don't need monster BTUs--in fact I'm thinking smaller might be better in this case if cooking is one of my objectives. Might have to really stoke a big insert to get it hot enough for cooking?

I posted a similar post about wood stoves and got lots of great suggestions. Turns out if I sawed some of their pretty legs a bit shorter, some of them would be good for my purpose, but I'd rather not do that to them if there are other good options. Also don't want to extend my hearth to bring them in front of the fireplace. Begreen had suggested the insert Century CW2500-I--which got me thinking about inserts--but from the Century site photos, looks like the top surface might be mostly angled down behind the typical surround.

Trying to make a tool do something it was not designed to do will rarely give the results expected or needed. And sometimes it may even not end well at all. Square pegs should not be forced into round holes.

Given your setup, and if you want a cooking backup for power outages and emergencies, IMHO I would rather suggest just getting a Coleman stove.

But if you really, really, really want to cook with an insert, then consider cooking options IN the stove, not ON it.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/wood-stove-cooking-zm0z10zros

Last edited:
Reactions: kitand
Surrounds are mostly cosmetic. Some inserts look much better with them, others look fine without. Another insert to consider would be the Regency H2100.

Reactions: kitand
Valid points, Coemgen--copied down the link to the cooking ideas too. On the "round peg in square hole" issue, I generally agree, but I noticed that various wood stove manufacturers also don't make any claim of cooking ability, but lots of people say that various models cook well. As long as an insert gets hot enough on a flat top, I'm wondering if there would be anything else that should discourage someone from cooking on it. That's why I'm wondering if someone's actually done it, and would love to hear from them. Do have a couple Colemans already. I like the basicness of wood and it would still be available in a "zombie apocalypse"! Might even be fun to cook on when there is NOT a power outage!
Begreen--thanks! I checked out the Regency site. I'd have to extend my hearth for their H series if I want a permit. Then noticed their I series and have made a note to look into it further.

Wondering two basic things about inserts:
1. Are the surrounds necessary? I'm wondering if they're just for looks or if they serve an otherwise useful purpose.
2. If the surrounds are NOT necessary, then are there flat-topped models of inserts that might be good for cooking on when power is out?

From pictures it seems like some insert models might have vents right under the top that might make cooking impossible. Also some models have backs that angle down (I assume flat tops would be better). Just wondering if anyone has any actual experience successfully cooking on some specific brands/models.

My fireplace is 28"Hx30"Wx21"D. I wouldn't want the flat top of the insert to be any taller than 22" (ideally shorter) to leave clearance for fitting the pans on top. Would prefer non-catalytic and do need less than 4.5g/hr emissions. Don't need monster BTUs--in fact I'm thinking smaller might be better in this case if cooking is one of my objectives. Might have to really stoke a big insert to get it hot enough for cooking?

I posted a similar post about wood stoves and got lots of great suggestions. Turns out if I sawed some of their pretty legs a bit shorter, some of them would be good for my purpose, but I'd rather not do that to them if there are other good options. Also don't want to extend my hearth to bring them in front of the fireplace. Begreen had suggested the insert Century CW2500-I--which got me thinking about inserts--but from the Century site photos, looks like the top surface might be mostly angled down behind the typical surround.
I have a BK Insert with no surround there is a removable convection deck just lift it off. I'm sure I could cook on stove top if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.