Cooktop for Drolet 1800?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Reming870

Nov 18, 2022
I just watched a youtube review of a Drolet Escape 1800, but it had a cooktop. Is this something that can be added? I cannot find any onfo on it anywhere. Thanks.

She says "cooktop", but that is the regular top.

put pots directly on the top, or on trivets, or just get a sheet of steel or a cast-iron griddle. Voila! Cook top.

I put a 15" x 37" x 3/8" sheet of steel I had laying around right on top of my legend III. Instant cook top. I'm cooking on it right now! Nice.

it overhangs the sides of the stove to give more temperature variance. My pots are on the edge off of the stove right now gently simmering away..oops, better move them inboard as the stove is on cool-down phase..

also, the plate adds about 70lbs to the thermal mass of the stove.

Last edited:
Yeah just a regular woodstove no special cooktop there

Looks like the top is brown and not black steel, or is that just a protective cover?
Pretty sure that's just the lighting. But you can absolutely cook on the top of the stove

Reactions: RomanW and Newbie78
Looks like the top is brown and not black steel, or is that just a protective cover?
It's just the warm room lighting reflecting off of the satin black top.

If you take that upper heat shield off, you get way more cook space!

Voila! Instant extra space!

Lol
Seems like that would be at the expense of much poorer blower convection, if any.

Reactions: RomanW
You could probably get the small deflector and use that. They work surprisingly well on the Columbia and the Legend III.

I haven't checked it out, but the "heritage" stove is the same size and has the small deflector. That one might just bolt up..?

You could probably get the small deflector and use that. They work surprisingly well on the Columbia and the Legend III.

I haven't checked it out, but the "heritage" stove is the same size and has the small deflector. That one might just bolt up..?

I have to disagree. The convection deck on the Escape 1800 is far superior to the deflector on the backside of the Legend III, at least as far as fan effectiveness goes.

Mine has the convection deck. I was just saying to Begreen that I don't have the fan.

I have to disagree. The convection deck on the Escape 1800 is far superior to the deflector on the backside of the Legend III, at least as far as fan effectiveness goes.
I imagine it is, however the little deflector on the legend and columbia is surprisingly effective for what it is. I hadn't a fan on the columbia yet the hot air still came out the front from the back. When the fan on the legend is on it blows lots of warm air out the front (Like TONS). We use that fan to control stove and stack temps more than anything. We prefer the fan off, as it is noisy. We live in a very quiet place so even the refrigerator seems noisy.

oh, and I'm not sure how you can "disagree" with my statement? I didn't even compare to the 1800 deflector. I only said that the little deflector "works surprisingly well".

when my fan is going full blast on the legend the hot air is pouring over the top like 2 or 3 of my forced-air heat registers. Or maybe even 4 of them. Quite profound, imo.

ps, the little deflector for the heritage is a $23 part and might be worth a try if someone was interested in having a bigger cooktop on the 1800 series stove. Or you could make a nicer one for cheap if you wanted to.

Last edited:
I used to cook on my Woodstock fireview all the time. Just set the pots right on top. I didn’t do much frying but when I did I used a Dutch oven to keep the grease spatter in. I even made a lot of corn bread on it. I just used pie tins and put an aluminum foil tent over it. Worked pretty good.

Reactions: RomanW