Copper beech

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JA600L

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2013
Lancaster Pennsylvania
Is copper beech a good firewood?
Good coaling properties?
Does it make a lot of ash?
Better split large or small?

Thanks for any replies.

Attachments

• 20170211_092720.jpg
    20170211_092720.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 306
Don't know about the qualities of the wood, but I would use some extra caution around the power lines running along side that tree. Just an observation

I would guess its just like beech. Just make sure you have beefy splittes as beech can be "beech" to split as it had lots of knots and weird grain. Regular beech has the rep that its great to put on hot fire but not so good for initial startup.

Bummer it has to be cut down. I just love the look of cooper beeches. It was a very popular ornamental at one point as I see them in a lot of old New England towns

The tree is already down. Yeah, the only reason we took it down is because the trunk is almost rotted through. The rot is on the opposite end of the picture.

Copper beech, or purple beech is a variety of European beach (Fagus sylvatica).
Too bad you lost it. It will burn great - like American beech (Fagus grandifolia).
Splitting beech (by hand) is the downside. It's in the same family as oak but definitely a much tougher splitting wood.