Corn Stoves Venting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mes-mn

Nov 4, 2006
We have had a Magnum/Countryside corn stove for 5 years now. After our first few months of learning curve we are happy as can be with it. No problems . . . burns great, hot, clean, efficient . . . we just love it.
We love it so much we bought a second one. (We wanted another one for our un-attached workshop/garage).

Brilliant idea of mine. Move the old one to the workshop and move the new one to the rec-room of the house. The old one had all the fancy gold door on it and etched glass. The new one is the plain Jane-no frills. Our idea was to swap-out the gold and etched glass from the old stove and put it on the new one. Basically have the pretty stuff on the new one in the house

In doing so - I tore apart all the venting from the old stove and replaced everything new. Another brilliant idea, I thought. But . . . [and over the past few years in talking to people I was told I didn't need all the venting running up the outside of the house wall (about 5 feet or so)]. I since have just run the venting straight out the house -no exterior vertical chimney at all. I was told by the dealer (who I trust), and read in the manual, that it was perfectly fine and people are doing it that way. And, I have the venting to specs of the manual.

Now we can not get our new stove to burn correctly. Something is just not right. And the only thing I can think of that is different is the venting.

My question is: Is there anyone out there that has their venting system like what I have explained above and does it seem to be working fine for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.