Corn won’t ignite

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WeaveGatThis

Jan 5, 2022
Iowa
We have a model 6041TP wood pellet stove. Not sure the brand because I can’t find that anywhere. This stove was in the house when we bought it. Has worked fine for 2 years. This year we decided to try whole corn because the unit says it can take corn. And pellets are pricey. We ran out of pellets and are now using 100% whole corn. But it won’t ignite. Held a torch on the corn for 10 minutes and all it did was turn black. Anyone else have this problem? The house is freezing and we need this thing to work soon! Thank you

What kind of corn and where did you get it
what is m/c of the corn

Reactions: ManitobaSky
I believe that is a US Stove model, this should be the manual https://www.usstove.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2020/08/6041-Series-Owners-Manual.pdf
Like John asked we need more info about the corn, if it is over 14% moisture you’re in trouble.
I ran a Harman multi fuel stove for alot of years, to be honest if you need heat right now dig the corn out of it and go get some pellets. Burning corn is way less forgiving then wood pellets.

I have thought about experimenting with some corn in mine since it is supposed to burn it. Interested in what happens with this.

From what I have read, corn is harder to light than pellets. People say they start the stove on pellets and then switch over to corn. The moisture of the corn is also an issue.

Reactions: Mt Bob and jackman
My stove says no more than 50% corn, but I haven't tried it.

The stove dealer said the only way corn is worth it is if it's free and less than 15% moisture. I wouldn't trust anything he says, but I thought I'd pass it along for discussion purposes.

We burned 50/50 corn pellets for a while. Try lighting with pellets first. Maybe some gel firestarter? But really If the torch didn’t ignite it it may be too wet.

Yes you have to start with pellets. Add pellets to the pot and light then stove will start adding corn and should take off. At least that is how my St Croix works. I have been burning Straight corn for over 10 yrs and love it. But not all stoves like corn. St Croix are made in Iowa (corn Country) and burn corn with no effort. It does not burn pellets very good.

As mentioned above, buy a bag of pellets and get it started with that. Just a handful is needed. I throw in a handful and a half then take the torch to it till I see some nice red color then start up the stove. It takes it from there.

Its feed corn from a local farmer. I do not know the moisture but will be asking him. I did the bite test and it broke in half easily. We cleaned it out and switched to pellets and everything works fine so it’s definitely the corn. I’m guessing the moisture content :/
What kind of corn and where did you get it
what is m/c of the cor

1- Did you remember to change the control panel to corn?
2- Read your manual, you have to light the stove with wood pellets- from the manual--
"Using Corn, Soy Beans, Cherry Pits: Ensure your display shows a “Cr” for corn. NOTE: Wood pellets MUST be used
for auto ignition of the fuel. Corn, Soy Beans, and Cherry Pits have a higher flash point and requires more heat to
combust as opposed to wood pellets. Trying to light the heater with a fuel other than wood pellets will decrease
the life expectancy of your igniter cartridge. The use of starter gel or starter pellets is not required for this heater."